First batch ever but why is the FG so high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerkIFE

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post on the site. I just completed a cream stout extract kit from Midwest. My SG was spot on in the recommended range but my FG was quite high. The FG should be between 1.012-1.016 but mine came in at 1.022
What did I do wrong if anything to make it high? Also should be around 4.3 ABV but mine measured in at 3.0 ABV. Thanks folks and I am looking forward to your responses.
Mike

the 1.020 Curse Strikes Again!

it happens sometimes with extract batches

try a tablespoon of Amylase Enzyme and swish the carboy. check gravity again in a couple days.

Thanks GrogNerd. I will look into the enzyme. I assume that since the cream stout uses so much lactose that I probably didn't get a perfect yeast utilization or that the temp may have been a little colder than the yeast liked to cause this. I'm having a hard time with cold temps in WY and I only keep the house temp around 67. I shall explore more options such as a fermenter heat band or wrap. Would bringing the FG down into the correct range make the beer potentially taste any better? Thanks

last couple batches of mine have turned out really well, I think because I haven't let the temps get above 67º

I've never used the enzyme, just read about it. my problem seems to be the opposite, I get really high attenuation. my imperial/barleywine pumpkin went from 1.113 to 1.004. 96% attenuation and 16.4% abv.

read that you can overdo the enzyme and dry out your batch too much. it will be less sweet/malty and have less body/mouthfeel

Have you checked your hydrometer to make sure it is accurate? Just fill your reading tube with tap water and take a reading it should come in around 1.000. I know mine come in at around 0.096 in regular water so I need to take that into account when I take my readings as well as account for the temp correction. Also have you corrected for the temperature of the beer after taking the reading?

Being 0.006 off isn't too bad and those corrections could easily account for it.

Also how long has it been fermenting, and did you take readings a few days apart to see if the yeast has finished easting? Always remember that yeast don't care what the instructions say so you can't base on whether it is done or not off of the instruction time frame, or if there is activity in the air lock.

If the above has already been taking into account then you can also try warming it up to about 70F and giving it a gentle swirl (to see if that helps wake the yeast up). I would try all of these before adding anything new to your beer at this stage.

I wouldn't add anything to the beer until you have checked out these factors.

No, no amylase enzyme is needed here and most often it's never appropriate.

In this case, I assume a "cream stout" has lactose in it. A pound of lactose will add .009 to the FG. A 1.022 FG for a cream stout is certainly not unreasonable.

I've had more than a few extract batches finish and stay at 1.020. Some extracts, particularly dark extracts, are just not as fermentable as other ingredients. That, combined with lactose, means a higher FG and that's generally fine.

don't listen to me, listen to Yooper

and don't get all caught up in, "he's advising me not to listen to his advice, then says listen to someone else, so should I listen to him and not take his advice, or not take his advice and take the other's advice, but that is, in fact taking his advice so should I not listen to Yooper?"

Damn, Grog Nerd, that post sounds kinda like, do you want me to rush the rush job I have now, or do I rush your rush job first, and then rush the other rush job while I'm rushing? Or something like that. :)

and don't get all caught up in, "he's advising me not to listen to his advice, then says listen to someone else, so should I listen to him and not take his advice, or not take his advice and take the other's advice, but that is, in fact taking his advice so should I not listen to Yooper?"

OMG, you made me spit beer onto my monitor.

Which is not nearly as feminine as it sounds, as I believe some came out my nose. :drunk:

GrogNerd said:

Always listen to Yooper.

Always listen to Yooper.

Would ya'll talk to my husband? I'll post his phone number right here, if it means that he'll get a few dozen phone calls saying that I should always be listened to! :D

Seriously, everybody has valid input and should be heeded. I just have more experience than some with poorly attenuating extract batches. I would be concerned if this was a cream ale, but since this is a dark beer and with darker extract (probably) and crystal malts and possibly lactose, it's not surprising than it's higher than projected.

Trox said:
Have you checked your hydrometer to make sure it is accurate? Just fill your reading tube with tap water and take a reading it should come in around 1.000. I know mine come in at around 0.096 in regular water so I need to take that into account when I take my readings as well as account for the temp correction. Also have you corrected for the temperature of the beer after taking the reading? Being 0.006 off isn't too bad and those corrections could easily account for it. Also how long has it been fermenting, and did you take readings a few days apart to see if the yeast has finished easting? Always remember that yeast don't care what the instructions say so you can't base on whether it is done or not off of the instruction time frame, or if there is activity in the air lock. If the above has already been taking into account then you can also try warming it up to about 70F and giving it a gentle swirl (to see if that helps wake the yeast up). I would try all of these before adding anything new to your beer at this stage. I wouldn't add anything to the beer until you have checked out these factors.[/QUOTE

Trox, I checked the hydrometer as you suggested and low and behold it read .098
I have a power pack porter (2nd batch) going and today was day 16 after the boil. FG came down .002 since yesterday and that accompanied with the hydrometer correction and temp correction has my FG right at .0001 above the recommended high FG side. I'll take another reading tomorrow(3 total days in a row) and keg it if it is stable. I still need to figure out why the ABV keeps coming in so low. The power pack porter should be around 6.4 but all I'm getting is 2.5. I use dry yeast and rehydrate it properly. I guess it's time to switch to a liquid yeast and do my fermentation in a temp and climate controlled fridge.

Trox said:
Have you checked your hydrometer to make sure it is accurate? Just fill your reading tube with tap water and take a reading it should come in around 1.000. I know mine come in at around 0.096 in regular water so I need to take that into account when I take my readings as well as account for the temp correction. Also have you corrected for the temperature of the beer after taking the reading? Being 0.006 off isn't too bad and those corrections could easily account for it. Also how long has it been fermenting, and did you take readings a few days apart to see if the yeast has finished easting? Always remember that yeast don't care what the instructions say so you can't base on whether it is done or not off of the instruction time frame, or if there is activity in the air lock. If the above has already been taking into account then you can also try warming it up to about 70F and giving it a gentle swirl (to see if that helps wake the yeast up). I would try all of these before adding anything new to your beer at this stage. I wouldn't add anything to the beer until you have checked out these factors.[/QUOTE

Trox, I checked the hydrometer as you suggested and low and behold it read .098
I have a power pack porter (2nd batch) going and today was day 16 after the boil. FG came down .002 since yesterday and that accompanied with the hydrometer correction and temp correction has my FG right at .0001 above the recommended high FG side. I'll take another reading tomorrow(3 total days in a row) and keg it if it is stable. I still need to figure out why the ABV keeps coming in so low. The power pack porter should be around 6.4 but all I'm getting is 2.5. I use dry yeast and rehydrate it properly. I guess it's time to switch to a liquid yeast and do my fermentation in a temp and climate controlled fridge.

I think you are reading your hydrometer wrong. ABV is calculated from the difference between OG and FG. If your kit uses extract, the OG is what the kit says it is. (1.067 I think) Your FG is 1.022. Subtract the FG from the OG (.045) and multiply that by 131 for an ABV of about 5.9%

RM-MN said:
[/QUOTE

Lol RM-MN. Thanks for correcting me and keeping me straight. I use a triple scale thermometer but guess I was using the ABV part wrong as well as palmers conversion table. Now that I look at the table again and use your formula, I'm coming out at 6.288
My OG was 1.064 and FG 1.016
Thanks again

Back