First Batch Done, 2nd One 'Sploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidg410

Reaction score
So my first batch of American Wheat seemed to be somewhat of a success.
17 days in primary. Drank a couple after 1 week in bottles. 3 Were great :ban:, 2 we're not 100% ready. Not shocked. Just gota wait another week or 2 im sure.

I started my second batch on saturday night. It started to ferment in about 10 hours i'm guessin. Last night, i woke up at 545am to the cap and air lock on the ground and a 4 inch volcano of foam on the jacket i had wrapped it up with. I quickly grabbed my blow off, sanitized and got it going. Made sure that anything on that touched the opening in the carboy was wet with Starsan. Hoping I didnt get any infection or lose a ton of yeast in the explosion.

I got home from work today and it was no longer bubbling. I gave it a little stir to get all the goodies that came up to the top mixed back into the brew. It's bubbling again.

Pretty sure everything will be fine... as long as I avoided infection when the top blew off for a few hours. Relax, Drink A Homie i'm sure.

How often have yall had a random explosion, had it sit on its own for a few hours and still be completely fine?

More often than not, its fine when this stuff happens. Our ancestors didn't know about sanitizing things for a long time and still managed to make stuff they wanted to drink.

sanitizing and high yeast pitch rates just give us a very high success rate for getting the desired infection with good end results.

Back