First batch couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNick73

Reaction score
Well I brewed my first batch last night, AHS Magic hat #9 clone. All went well and its in primary now with a constant flow of bubbles coming out the blow off jug (a "burp" every second, maybe slightly faster).

Anyway it took me about 45 mins to chill the wort and I think I might have aerated it at too high a temp, by adding cold water really splashing and dumping in primary around 100 degrees, I was getting impatient. Anyway I hear this is bad but can't find why, and is there anything I need to watch for? I going to keep it going since its doing well, but wondering if I need to keep a watch out and if there's corrective measures I can take if something does happen, and just to know why it's bad to aerate at high temps for future use.

I think you'll be fine. Slight aeration around 100 shouldn't be an issue.

If there is any problem, it will show itself in a sort of wet cardboard type of aroma and off flavor, in the finished product.

It's when people stir the **** out of 170 degree wort that it really becomes a big issue.

I've never had the oxidation problem but as I understand it, it'll also affect stability of the beer in storage. You don't exactly affect the flavor immediately, but rather cause flavor instability, which might be noticable after the typical 3 week bottle conditioning.

but I agree with BM, at 100F, you were barely over the guideline of 90F, so yer probably safe.
never abandon hope on a beer until you've determined without a doubt that its a lost cause.

Its actually pretty hard to ruin a beer...you've gotta try hard really...skip sanitizing, etc...

Ok I'm not too worried about it, I figured the 100 degree mark was fairly safe, it was the gallon or so of cold water I poured in around 140 or so and some stirring to dissipate the heat, that I thought might cause some problems and wasn't sure what those problems might be.

I'm not giving up on it, just wondering what to watch for. Got to get some copper line and make one of those chillers, haha.

Latest posts

Back