First batch complete now what ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluepaddle

Reaction score
So I completed my first batch on Saturday morning and everything is going really good. I just checked on the primary and my blowoff is bubbling like crazy. I am so proud to see all my hard work paying off, but now I was wondering when do you take a hydrometer reading ? Should I have done this right away or wait until I think it is done ?

Take the OG before adding yeast. You will just have to watch it now and see what your kit says about the FG since you do not have an OG. Make sure your FG is right and you will be fine Also, watch to make sure it does not ferment so much that the blowoff fills up. Keep an eye on that temp. Keep it around 60.

Sorry, forgot to mention that you will take your FG reading before adding the sugar when bottling.

You should have taken a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast so that you could record your original gravity. This gives you a good data point for basing the final gravity number since you know the attenuation of the yeast. However, wait for the activity in the airlock to slow down (around a week or so) and then take gravity readings a couple days apart. As long as the gravity readings are constant, the fermentation is done and you are good to go with bottling or kegging.

you should usually take one while you're transferring your wort to the primary, just to find out what your original gravity is to calculate ABV and figure out how close you are to hitting your desired numbers.

You'll also take one when your fermentation is done, or you'll find out it isn't quite done yet. If you're doing extract and your reading is 1.016 or below, you could be real close to done, wait another couple days and check again. Make sure to sanitize everything that touches your beer in the fermenter. A turkey baster usually works really well to get the beer out. Sanitize that, set your airlock/stopper combo in a bowl of sanitizing solution when you're taking the sample, and make sure to sanitize the area around the airlock on the fermenter as well. Hope that all helps!

I wouldnt worry about not taking OG, it doesnt really matter, it is what it is, unless you really care what the ABV of the finish product is.

I would suggest leaving it alone for 14 days before opening it up to take a gravity reading. No need to rush it, and the more you open up the fermenter the more chance of ruining your batch.

Back