First Batch - Bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgt2000

Reaction score
Hi All,

So for my first batch I tried a Coopers Dark Ale, using malt and not sugar and dry yeast (unfortunately). It started bubbling within 18 hours but stopped completely two and a half days after that. I gave the fermentor a slight swirl, and it bubbled again for half a day then stopped. 36 hours later (I have VERY limited patience), I racked straight to bottles. I was told by my LHBS that the Coopers dry yeast has a tendency to finish fermenting very quickly. SG was 1.041, ending was 1.010.

It tasted great before I bottled it. My plan is to try a bottle every 3 to 4 days to see how its progressing, understanding that it will probably be 3 weeks before I actually have someone else try it.

I tried a bottle last night, and the flavor seems to have already changed substantially from the sample I tried before I bottled it. Also, there was already some carbonation, but the bubbles were very fizzy, almost like champagne bubbles. Here are my questions I guess:

What do young beers tend to taste like?
It the weird carbonation something that will change over time in the bottle?

I'm brewing a German Pilsner tonight...this time doing it right, liquid yeast...secondary fermentation, etc, but am just curious if my current batch is on the right track. thanks for the help!

Just a few questions which i'm sure will help us help you. What did you use to carb the beer? DME or Corn Sugar? What temperature are you storing your brew at during bottle conditioning?

I'm a few batches in, and the first beer i drink is usually very harsh. There's not much carbonation, and a harsh alcohol taste. It may be a coincidence, but both of these beers have used dry yeast. My newest concoction is liquid. I'll tell you how it is when i bottle.

Thanks for the response!

I wanted to make it as simple as possible, so I got those Coopers carbonation drops and used those. I'm bottle conditioning at 70 degrees.

Did your whole first batch have that type of taste or just the first few bottles?

Thanks!

MGT: The flavor Efreem is describing is what is commonly referred to as 'green beer'. It goes away with age. If the flavor didn't go away he either drank it way to fast or I am mistaken about what he is trying to describe.

Efreem: the flavor difference you will taste with your most recent beer will not so much be a factor of the yeast being liquid instead of dry. The difference, all else being equal, will be the specific variety of yeast you use.

Thanks for the responses kornkob and efreem. The very next night, I put a bottle in the fridge for about 30 minutes...took it out, poured it....delicious!!!:mug:

What a difference a day makes! I can't imagine what this will taste like in a couple weeks!:cross:

mgt2000 said:
Thanks for the responses kornkob and efreem. The very next night, I put a bottle in the fridge for about 30 minutes...took it out, poured it....delicious!!!:mug:

What a difference a day makes! I can't imagine what this will taste like in a couple weeks!:cross:

Just be careful or all you'll be doing is imagining :D

I was almost concerned when you mentioned real fizzy bubbles. That was always a character of my spoiled batches, but it seems like your batch will be fine. Don't knock dry yeast. Some of it is very good.

Back