First batch apple wine needs fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon batch of apple wine and bottled it up a month or 2 ago. It was my first batch and I didn't know what I was doing at all -- not that I am an expert now-- Anyway, I bottled too early and it is very cloudy. Would it hurt anything to uncork the bottles and pour them back into gallon jugs or a carboy and let them clear. Would they clear on their own or could i add some pectic enzyme? If so, how much pectic enzyme per gallon? Also considering adding some acid blend for flavor and maybe backsweeten, because it doesn't really taste very good compared to some I have had since. Is it too late to do any of these things?
Thanks for any response.
Gus

If the fermentation was done & you bottled still, it will clear in the bottle, it'll just leave sediment on the bottom. If fermentation was still going you might have some blown corks or bursting bottles. Either way, putting them in the fridge will help to clear AND help avoid bottle bombs. Regards, GF.

Back