First batch Apfelwein done.. What to do now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egiblock

Reaction score
Transfered into gallon jugs still trying to figure out what I want to do next.

Starting Grav: 1.07 (12/21/14)
Ending: 0.96 (4/10/15)

by my calculations I'm currently at 14.95%

so it's all sitting in 3 1gal jugs.

drinking it straight it is like a hard apple juice. i'm contemplating freezing it to get my alcohol out of it.. but i dunno.

what should I do at this point.

:mug:

I think your abv cal is way off. I am not near my charts but its probely a lot closer to 10%abv.
For now just let it age. That will mellow out the "hard" tast. If you want to drink it now try sweetning a glass full. That helps mellow it. Just remember if you sweeten the whole galeon there are extra steps to take to keep it from refermenting. Sweetening as you drink is the easiest way!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Transfered into gallon jugs still trying to figure out what I want to do next.

Starting Grav: 1.07 (12/21/14)
Ending: 0.96 (4/10/15)

by my calculations I'm currently at 14.95%

so it's all sitting in 3 1gal jugs.

drinking it straight it is like a hard apple juice. i'm contemplating freezing it to get my alcohol out of it.. but i dunno.

what should I do at this point.

:mug:

The reading is .996, not .96. You were missing a digit. So, it's (1.070-.996) x 131 for an approximate ABV of 9.7%.

It will be much better with some aging.

By the way, most people would consider a wine that retains its juice flavor perfection! A lot of wines loose their original flavor and just tast like generic wine....

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back