First batch. Am I worried about nothing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBWorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...I just brewed my first extract brew on Saturday afternoon. It was fermenting nicely by Sunday morning and really moving by Sunday evening. On Monday morning all the Krausen was gone, all the solids were on the bottom and the beer was a bit hazy. I searched here and after reading everything I decided to take a reading with the hydrometer and lo and behold it is very near the FG (1.010 vice 1.008). I tasted the sample and it tastes and smells alot like beer. I guess my question would be, does dry yeast normally ferment out that fast? The airlock is still farting slowly but I have read that's not any kind of reliable indicator of fermentation.

Anyways, I think it's probably fine and I'm worrying about nothing. Thoughts? :mug:

Light Amber Ale kit from morebeer.com
SG 1.040 on Saturday afternoon
SG 1.010 on Monday afternoon
Fermenting temp is around 72 degrees

All sounds normal - leave it be for a few weeks, then bottle and likely you'll be pleased. What is your first brew?

B

Everything's fine. You had a quick initial fermentation. That doesn't mean it's necessarily done yet, just that you a good start. Since the yeast count in a package of dry is higher than with liquid, it's not unlikely at all.

Relax.

Yep. Just let it be. The yeasties might have chomped up most of the fermentable sugar but now its time for it to turn its eye to the products of fermentation thus giving you a cleaner tasting brew!

RDWHAHB! ( or craft brew in your case)

Let it sit for another week or so. Then bottle. Maybe try cold crashing to clear some haze up a bit. Other than that, sounds like you are on the right track!

Sounds like it's doing great, but don't get impatient and bottle too soon. Let the yeast clean itself up and for the beer to clarify some more even if the gravity reading is stable. I like to wait at least 7-10 days before bottling (even longer for bigger beers).

Nothing to worry about, really. You're almost done fermenting, then it's time to let it sit for a little while (like a few weeks) before bottling.

You might try to see about a way to keep your fermentation temperature down. Look for "swamp cooler" and you'll get good info on a pretty economical way to maintain a lower-than-ambient temperature for fermentation.

Way to go! You made beer!!

What temp did you pitch the yeast? I had a low gravity beer pitched at 65 04 yeast hydrated and its krausen dropped at 2 days.The previous beer, higher gravity same temp hydrated same yeast i had to use a blow off tube for the first time and took like 5 days.Yeast do what they want.
Just dont botttle before 2 weeks or let them see light they may turn into gremlins.

Back