First batch, airlock issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nockmypen

Reaction score
Hi I have just started brewing my first batch this week and have run into what I think is a problem. I checked on the fermenter 4 days after I brewed the beer and the beer has overflowed out of the airlock and filled the airlock halfway with the brew. I can see bubbles which I hear is a good sign of fermentation, but I want to make sure this is not a bad thing. Any help is appreciated

No problems here, clean out the airlock and re-install. For the next one set up a blow off tube at the start. You can leave it installed or you can change out to an airlock when the active fermentation subsides.

This happens to all of us. Just remove the airlock. Clean it out, re sanatize, fill and replace. No big deal.

Other suggestions you are going to get will be to look into a blowoff tube. I used one for the first time on my newest batch and I have to say that I will continue to use one from here on out.

No mess and no worrying about blowing my airlock out.

Back