First Batch, ah the joy of it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisski

Reaction score
After a fine weekend with the parents, my mother kindly tells me

"Wisski, you are boring, you need a hobby. Why don't you take up knitting?" to which I responded
"Mother, gfy"

She did have a point and it led me to consider, maybe just maybe... I needed something new to consume my free time. Seeing as I already had an inordinate knowledge of beer, including how to drink so much you stumble into the front yard of a house party while it's getting busted. I figured it's only a logical progression to advance my knowledge to a level where I can make my own beer, whenever I want, as strong as I want.

So I began buy spending 100$ for everything I needed to make my first batch. Here it is ready to be sanitized, and used to make a very fine India Pale Ale.
imagenzd.jpg

image1okw.jpg

I spent Sunday afternoon cleaning and preparing for "Brew day 001" by boiling cans of sugar so I didn't leave any yeast fodder behind.
image3yd.jpg

image2dv.jpg

Once the equipment was germ free, and the sugar was melted, the brewing began. I tied up all the grains in my nylon, and sunk it into hot(155F) water.
image4zy.jpg

After 20 minutes of soaking, and the water turning rather brown. It was time for the sugar and the first addition of hops.
image6yn.jpg

After I boiled the previous mixture of water, sugar, hops and malted barley for 45 minutes.

image8t.jpg

It was time to cool and add the yeast. I used 2 gallons of cold spring water, and ice cubes that I made by boiling then freezing water to sanitize it. Then transfer it to the Primary Fermenter so the yeast could finally begin to metabolize all that yummy sugar into the ever coveted Ethyl Alcohol.
The Yeast, hydrated.
image7iy.jpg

and the Final Product.

image9qn.jpg

At Least I THOUGHT it would be the final product, but this morning I had a little "Surprise" During the night, the yeast were SOOO happy with the sugar mixture i had made them, they blew their load, all over my kitchen, can't wait until i get to drink the little bastards.
imageeww.jpg

Moral of the story, Beer is good.

ya i didn't think it would be that vigorous of a fermentation in the first 24 hours. The OG was only 1.055, but maybe having pitched it at 74F was the reason it went hog wild.

I know the final final product gets drunkdid, but The final product for this day( and the next 2-3 weeks is a fermenter. Probably gonna rack into a secondary and let it sit as there's a large amount of trub.

Same thing happened on our first batch, not a major mess but still learned the "Get a blow off" lesson.

Wow! Did you really say "that" to your Mom? IF true my suggestion is first to go apologize for your disrespect and foul language, then go chew on a soap bar for awhile.

NRS

Wow! Did you really say "that" to your Mom? IF true my suggestion is first to go apologize for your disrespect and foul language, then go chew on a soap bar for awhile.

NRS

no ma'am, I would never say that to my mother it was merely a paraphrase of what the basics of our conversation resulted in. Alas she was right, and i do need something to take up my time, now i just need to figure out what that might be.

Ah yes the Blow off tube. Here it is in full use, although i doubt i still need it. Notice the only things in my fridge are pickles, alcohol, and chili.
318902_559316029410_37901306_31498489_2392880_n.jpg

Well here are the bottles, 48 cleaned and drying bottles. Soaked batches of 8 at a time in oxy clean solution to remove the labels and clean the insides with a brush. Then before i bottled i used a solution of one step i got with my kit to just wet the inside to make sure there wasn't contamination. we'll see how many explode on this first go around i'm setting the over/under at about 3.5.
29759156005540270037901.jpg

Siphoning, trying to not get any yeast cake, and still get all the beer was tricky... so i just said to hell with it and got a little yeast cake, we'll see if that was a mistake, but as i don't mind a little sediment in a beer i think it'll be fine. The priming sugar was already in the bucket when i started the siphon. Boiled and then let it cool for about 10 minutes so it wasn't too hot.
31035956005536278037901.jpg

the final gravity, here it's touching the side which is a no-no, but when sitting in the center of the tube it read 1.016 and being that the fermentation took 2 weeks I think that's probably as low as it'll go.
31748256005544761037901.jpg

and the final product, all ready to go into the basement and carbonate. The Crates were on sale at wal-mart for 4$ and they worked wonderfully.
30360156005525300037901.jpg

lessons learned:
do not use a 5 gallon carboy for primary when doing a 5 gallon boil.
clean and rinse your bottles as you drink them
install a blow off tube, for the first 48 regardless if you think you'll need it.
you guys as a forum/community are awesome. :mug:

Also,it might not have been done in 2 weeks. But 1.055OG isn't much higher than the 1.050's I've been getting,& they get down to 1.010. Even 1.009. Keep an eye on those bottles.

Latest posts

Back