First attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
So I am starting my first ever batch with 20 lbs of local wildflower honey and distilled water to 5 gallons. OG 1.140 at I'm guessing somewhere around less than 75F. Used K meta for insurance. I will be pitching EC-1118 tomorrow.

14407978_10154704034041264_678702790_o.jpg

14438794_10154704034711264_154440106_o.jpg

too late...why isn't any of this information ever just up front? Especially in reference material aimed at newbies? Anyway, I'll drop in a few banana slices, that should help without adding any flavors to the finished product.

:u Not all sugars were dissolved yesterday, OG rose to 1.151

what if I crushed and tossed couple mutlivitamin tablets that contain magnesium and calcium and such?

I wouldn't do the crushed multivitamin thing. I would be more worried about some of that nasty vitamin flavor carrying over to the finished product more than the lack of minerals in distilled water. At this point maybe just add some nutrient occasionally and hope for the best. I agree with you on info for newbies, its difficult to find certain info until after the fact it seems, but we live and learn. Good luck.

You may add yeast nutrient or raisins. Nutrient is very important, especially for your high gravity, because mead lacking in nutrient can take a LONG time to ferment.

nutrient is the one thing i am fresh out of...i heard of boiling bread yeast and using that?

Boiled bread yeast makes an OK nutrient. A packet in a cup of water nuked in the microwave works.

As for the water, I've never seen a recipe that called for distilled water. No trace elements and zero dissolved O2 makes it very stressful on the yeast. Using distilled water for rehydration is far worse even still. It will cause the yeast cells to implode.

You should add some O2 by aerating your must. You probably don't have an O2 tank and oxygen stone being a noob, so bubble some air into it somehow if you can.

Boiled bread yeast makes an OK nutrient. A packet in a cup of water nuked in the microwave works.

As for the water, I've never seen a recipe that called for distilled water. No trace elements and zero dissolved O2 makes it very stressful on the yeast. Using distilled water for rehydration is far worse even still. It will cause the yeast cells to implode.

You should add some O2 by aerating your must. You probably don't have an O2 tank and oxygen stone being a noob, so bubble some air into it somehow if you can.

I always shake the piss out my primaries during the first few days until I there is NOTICEABLE active fermentation.

:u temps down to 64F

Noticeable fermentation begun, fitted airlock and 62F holding steady :rockin:

So.I.boiled.half.a.banana.for.more.nutrient.and.moved.to.secondary..
[email protected]..
Now.before.you.naysayers.say.nay,it.IS.topped.up...with.Co2..
just.until.I.get.marbles..
Oh,and.the.airlock.is.good.too,I.just.used.the.good.whiskey.in.it..
all.I.had..

14550980_10154742959051264_288981590_o.jpg

14550722_10154742957781264_1320040750_o.jpg

14536540_10154742958311264_115869342_o.jpg

14513652_10154742987946264_758467283_o.jpg

So....how long does this stuff normally take?

It's been 7 weeks and fermentation has slowed considerably, it's only
at about 50% of the goal.

here we are again...I have left this batch alone since last posting here and all activity has stopped. I have received both fermaids "O" and "K"
Does anyone have any tips/tricks to get things re started?
I am tossing the idea around of getting a gallon of cider and making a fresh "starter"
There are a lot of formulas out there on how much fermaid to use, but i don't understand a MF'n thing they're saying...just tell me how much to use and when! ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!
It is 5 gallons with enough honey to net 18-20 ABV and has only fermented to 50% of that and all activity has ceased...for a long time now. Time to get things rolling again.

here we are again...I have left this batch alone since last posting here and all activity has stopped. I have received both fermaids "O" and "K"
Does anyone have any tips/tricks to get things re started?
I am tossing the idea around of getting a gallon of cider and making a fresh "starter"
There are a lot of formulas out there on how much fermaid to use, but i don't understand a MF'n thing they're saying...just tell me how much to use and when! ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!
It is 5 gallons with enough honey to net 18-20 ABV and has only fermented to 50% of that and all activity has ceased...for a long time now. Time to get things rolling again.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Sfno/

Back