first attempt at harvesting a yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe9216

Reaction score
I am attempting to harvest my first yeast cake after primary fermentation was complete on a light malt base for flavored malt beverages for my not to fond of homebrew family. There were no hops in the brew and my question is... How do I differentiate between the trube and the yeast. I have been stiring the cake up in a flask, and once it settles a bit I pour off the remaining wort to a smaller container and stick it in the fridge to settle. From what I am seeing the settled remains in the mason jar looks identical to the trube remaining in the flask. It was an extract batch with no hops, so would the trube be almost non existent and it is all yeast?

ForumRunner_20130806_150114.jpg

ForumRunner_20130806_150127.jpg

Excellent question. I too have trouble discerning the difference between the yeast and the bad-tasting trub that you want to leave behind.

It's hard to tell when there aren't any hops in the finished beer so the reason why they look the same is because they're both pretty close minus hot break and cold break. I just add my trub to a container with the same amount of purified water as there is trub, swirl let sit for 5 minutes and decant. I do this twice and call it good. After the second time I cool the remainder of the trub and then separate it in to small sanitized mason jars for later use. Your yeast looks pretty clean so I would just save what you have and use at your convenience.

Back