First attempt at dry hopping, advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyb15

Reaction score
Okay, so i am finally going to try dry hopping today and just wanted to get some advice. I did a pale ale, and it has been in my fermentation chamber at 65 degrees for the last 10 days. I am also going to try washing yeast for the first time, so thought i would transfer to secondary before i dryhop. So couple of questions.
1) I usually leave in the secondary if i transfer for about 2 weeks. Would i be okay to dry hop right away, and then bottle after about 10 days?
2) I was planning on raising my fermentation temp to about 70 for a while, can i leave it there for the entire dry hop, or should i bring it back down after a couple days?

thanks!

1) Sure.
2) Yeah.

You sound pretty worried about this. I was kinda nervous with my first dry-hop. Just relax. This isn't rocket surgery. It sounds like you've got it down. If you're a few days or a few degrees off it'll still be delicious.

1) Would i be okay to dry hop right away, and then bottle after about 10 days?

Yes. In fact, after 8 days, I would move the fermenter into a fridge to cold-crash it and get any suspended hop particles to settle out. You'll likely still have a layer on the surface, but you can simply rack from beneath it with your siphon.

2) I was planning on raising my fermentation temp to about 70 for a while, can i leave it there for the entire dry hop, or should i bring it back down after a couple days?

Leave it. After fermentation has finished, there's no issue with allowing the beer to warm up. Doing so will no longer produce off-flavours; that's only an issue early on in fermentation. Furthermore, the hop oils are much more soluble in warm beer than cold beer, so you'll get much more effect from dry hopping at room temperature than if the beer is chilled.

Dry hop at room temperature, leave it for a week, then cold crash, rack to your bottling bucket, and bottle.

Back