First Attempt at Cider with Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsh22

Reaction score
I wouldn't have boiled the juice, you may have set in the pectins in the juice and made it permanently cloudy without using pectic enzyme. There's no reason to heat it unless you're using fresh pressed juice and you're worried about wild yeast/bacteria in which case I would opt for sulphites. Also, there's no such thing as 'too much' yeast, I would have used the whole packet.

So you aren't fermenting in the apple juice package?

no, what my original plan was to find apple juice IN he glass jugs and use that, but the carboy was cheap so i got 2 of them (making a mead soon)

I wouldn't have boiled the juice, you may have set in the pectins in the juice and made it permanently cloudy without using pectic enzyme. There's no reason to heat it unless you're using fresh pressed juice and you're worried about wild yeast/bacteria in which case I would opt for sulphites. Also, there's no such thing as 'too much' yeast, I would have used the whole packet.
yeah, didnt think of that.. but the funny thing is is that the boiled juice was clearer than the unboiled juice. I reallhy only boiled the little bit of juice to dissolve the dextrose. we will see how it goes.
(as for the yeast I am planning on making a soda with the rest of the packet :p)

Back