First Attempt at All Grain, came out all hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I have taken the plunge and stepped up to All Grain and tried my first batch today. I used an Igloo cooler as a Mash Tun and another for my laudering tun to maintain 6 gallons of water at 170 degrees for fly sparging. Everything was going perfect until after my boil and I went to transfer to the carboy...

60 min for an Pale Ale that was a bit hopped up, 4 oz of hops total (5 Gallon batch) 2 oz of Perle pellets and 2 oz of Cascade pellets.

I brewed for the first time in a modified 1/2 keg converted to a brew pot with built in temp guage and water Indicator (gallons) This brew pot also has a stainless ball valve with filtration screen.

The screen filled up internally with hops and would not let the liquid through...
I took the valve off after chilling and tried to filter with my fine strainer which always has worked for extract brewing and catching the trub before entering the carboy, but this time it went right through... the hops seemed to break down into a much finer.
Why would the hops have broken into such a fine substance this time?
Now that I have transfered it into my fermenter, is this still going to turn out and just be EXTRA hoppy, or will this cause other issues in fermentation?

Any assistance is appreciated to this newbeee...

Best guess is that your hops were just from the bottom of the bag, so they were a bit more dust than usual. A full boil or going AG shouldn't have any effect on the hops physically.

Even so, getting the hops in the fermenter won't change your brew in any noticeable way. You need heat to make the bittering compounds water soluble, so no more bitterness will be added.

You will get a bit less yield, but only marginally as they were pellets. The hops will settle, and as whatisitgoodfor said, no additional bitterness. No big deal really.

However... If you were not doing a full boil with your extract batch, and you based your use of 4 oz on that. A full boil will extract more from the hops than a partial boil. Thinner liquid = more extraction of oils...

BTW I like pearle I think it is a bit under-used.

Hops in fermenter = no problem.

Those filters always clog, if I were you I'd remove it or replace with a hopstopper or something up to the task.

Back