first attempt at AG, what did I do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Bio

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG batch last saturday, an autumn amber ale kit from midwest. I mashed at 152 for 1 hour then fly (colander) sparged for roughly 45 minutes to get to my pre-boil volume. Everything seemed to go well. The suggested OG was 1.046 but I got 1.052. First question, why did I overshoot? Did I mash too long/hot?

Added one pack of wyeast american ale II to ferment at 72 deg. Took a gravity reading today (1 week later) and got 1.004. Recommended should be 1.014-1.018.

So not only is my beer going to have more alcohol but I worry it won't have the sweetness that the autumn ale should have.

So ultimately my question is although I got good extraction from the grain I obviously missed all my numbers and I am looking for mistakes in my calculations or methods that could have accounted for this.

Thanks for the help!

It's typical for all grain brews to deviate from the recipe's anticipated OG because they are based on an assumed average extraction efficiency of about 70-75% and most brewers find their numbers to deviate from that assumption pretty consistently. In most cases, it's lower. My guess on the lower than expected FG is that you may have mashed a little cooler than you thought which increases fermentability. Do you have a good, accurate digital thermometer?

Thanks for the reply. I have a dial thermometer I got from a brew supply shop, I bought a cheap digital one but the probe broke, so I might have to re-invest in one of those.

The attenuation level of the yeast isn't typically a bad thing. On your next batch, you might consider using a slightly less attenuative yeast, too.

I previously used a cheap dial thermometer and was having similar issues with attenuation I switched to a glass lab thermometer and found that the dial was measuring 8 degrees hotter. This means that when I thought my mash was at 152, it was actually at 144.

I previously used a cheap dial thermometer and was having similar issues with attenuation I switched to a glass lab thermometer and found that the dial was measuring 8 degrees hotter. This means that when I thought my mash was at 152, it was actually at 144.
Same thing happened to me. Invest in a good lab-style glass thermometer, and use it to calibrate any digital one you get.

I use a floating one I got at the brew store. It's accurate, but slow.

I would just get a digital one and calibrate it with boiling and ice water. No need for additional thermometers to calibrate another thermometer. Sounds like it was definitely a mash temp issue. Plus once you do some batches you will figure out what your system yields for efficiency typically then you will have a better idea what to expect. Im sure your beer will turn out fine.

I have a fancy electric HERMS setup and I'm still happy if I get within a few points of OG and FG. After you get a few all grain brews under your belt you will find what works to get you closer but it's rare that you can nail it every time.

rubikcube said:

Same thing here, I used the dial thermometer that came with my turkey fryer and it read high, now on all 3 of my keggles I have a dial thermometer from Brewhardware and sight glasses on my HLT and BK, I also agree he has excellent products and would send anyone to him.

+++ to investing in a quality, lab calibrated digital thermometer. Mine's from VWR.com and has a long wire type probe so I can keep the unit well away from liquids and heat. Cost about $50 and may just be the most important piece of equipment I have for all grain brewing. The trouble with calibrating cheap ones with boiling water and ice water, is that does NOT mean they will be accurate at mash temps.

Also, next time you overshoot and have too high an OG, you can simply add more water and make more beer!!! ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look for a good thermometer. I appreciate it.

Just wondering.... Did you take a pre-boil gravity reading? Making sure that you stir the wort before drawing the sample (lesson learned). That will give you a descent idea about what your OG will be. If it's too high pre-boil, add a bit of water to bring it down a bit. A lower pre-boil gravity will result in a lower OG.

This might be poor advice. I'll let some of the more experience brewers correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you tested your hydrometer? Mine is .006 too low. If yours is off, then your readings might be dead on with the recipe.

Any idea on how this beer will turn out? I'm able to drink most anything but I suspect with such a high abv for the style it won't have much flavor or sweetness. Is it worth trying to dry hop to hide more of the alcohol flavor?

If you overshot your gravity, why didn't top it off with water to bring your gravity down. You get the correct gravity and more beer! WIN WIN situation!

P_Bio said:
Any idea on how this beer will turn out? I'm able to drink most anything but I suspect with such a high abv for the style it won't have much flavor or sweetness. Is it worth trying to dry hop to hide more of the alcohol flavor?

1.046 to 1.052?? Really?? Your difference in ABV will be about .5%. I doubt the difference will be noticeable, and if it is it will have MORE flavor and sweetness, not less. It will all come down to the quality of the ferment. That will make much more difference in your result than being off .006 gravity points...

Sorry, just re-read the OP. 1.052 down to 1.004 is 92% attenuation, so yes I think this will finish much dryer than intended. As stated above though, the higher original gravity isn't a big deal, but the high attenuation could mean there was a problem with the mash. The beer may still be tasty but will probably drink more like a saison. I'd take over attenuated brew over under attenuated brew any day...

Thanks Demus! I wouldn't mind if it was a saison. Oh well, this is why I love brewing, more mistakes = more learning = more beer to drink :mug:

I suppose it should be said....

Not really sure what the harm is here. It's homebrew. The worst thing that will happen is that you will have 50 or so beers to drink. The exacting and precise science of brewing is best left to brewmasters. I'd like to hit every mark where gravity, efficiency, attenuation... etc... are concerned, but I don't. The equipment I'm using is a bit less efficient than say, a professional brewery might have on hand, so I accept the inconsistancies and just enjoy a cold one every now and then. Always learning how to brew better, and more efficiently... aspiring to someday be able to hit every mark I want to hit.

I've been brewing for 10 years - inconsistently... I've drank every beer that I've brewed in that time. Some were better than others, but they were all drinkable. Even the ones I messed up. If this one doesn't turn out, try it again and make whatever adjustments you think are necessary. Bottle that one up and when it's ready, drink it. If it still isn't what you're after, brew it again making whatever adjustments you think are necessary... etc... etc...

Thanks for the reply. I have a dial thermometer I got from a brew supply shop, I bought a cheap digital one but the probe broke, so I might have to re-invest in one of those.

I wrote this article a while back, and I too have made decisions based on bad information from thermometers

http://www.reedbrewing.com/2012/12/oatmeal-stout-and-temperature-issues.html#more

41lMBRpUDfL.jpg

Back