First Apfelwein, is it ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
I prepared my first batch of Apfelwein almost 5 weeks ago, but I can still see bubbles crawling up the side of the carboy. It's not a lot, but it's enough to make me think it's still fermenting. I was hoping to have it ready to bottle carb for gifts but I'm not sure it's ready yet. Should I just pop the plug out and take a reading? I'm tempted to do so Friday which would be 5 weeks on the nose, just so I can have an excuse to sample a taste....but I'm wondering if I should just let it sit another week.

Edworts recipe calls for fermenting at 75deg, but my fermentation room (closet) stays closer to 65 this time of year and I'm thinking it's just not done yet. Temps during active fermentation were 70 in the bottle.

What do you think?

BTW, I'm not on the best terms with my wife's friend. We had them over a month ago and her husband fell in love with my IPA, so I've made it my mission to teach him to brew. She's already complaining about the buckets in her house lol! Hoping some of this cider might ease the pain :)

Whether or not its done fermenting, if you read through the apfelwein thread you should know that its not "ready". Hide the fermenter somewhere and brew a pale ale.

EDIT: try coaxing some niceness from the wifes friend with some skeeter pee ;)

Your apfelwein will be ready for bottling and gifting... next year. You must have not read the part about ageing it for a LONG time (6 months+) after fermenting it. The fermentation is over, no fermentation will last 5 weeks with anything resembling an appropriate pitching rate. All you're seeing is off gassing now.

When I made apfelwein, I found it was drinkable at 6 months and nice after a year.

Latest posts

Back