First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsroamer

Reaction score
It is supposed to be an Irish red. It has some good toffee and honey notes
IMG_0561.JPG

Note on photograhy: If you can put that glass of beer in the sunlight (early morning or late evening) so the sun lights it from the back the red color will really show. It's much harder to get it to show with flash photography.

Note on beer: That looks good. When should I expect my sample to arrive?

Note on flavor: A red is starting to get into the darker beer territory so waiting another 2 weeks for it to mature more might get you better flavors.

RM, I dont think it was the lighting, I think it was the glass lol;)....
Good job on your 1st all grain . Looks delicious!

Thanks for all the tips and compliments. I’ll try the lighting trick. I’ll take your advice on letting it age longer also. I’m hoping to do a Murphy clone next.

Thanks for all the tips and compliments. I’ll try the lighting trick. I’ll take your advice on letting it age longer also. I’m hoping to do a Murphy clone next.

When leaving your beer in the sunlight for backlighting purposes, don't dawdle. Sunlight (actually the strong UV light) will cause the hop oils to change into something that smells like a skunk. Early or late sunlight won't have too much effect but be prepared to get the picture then get the beer back inside.

Ok I didn’t know that, but I don’t plan letting it set out for to long[emoji6]. I normally drink out of a horn mug my brother got me. I actually have to change my setup a little I missed my gravity by .5 or .05 cant remember which. But it wasn’t that big of a deal since when i put it in a calculator it was only a half percent abv difference.

I actually have to change my setup a little I missed my gravity by .5 or .05 cant remember which. But it wasn’t that big of a deal since when i put it in a calculator it was only a half percent abv difference.

Your setup may not have anything to do with missing your expected OG. The milling of the grain is the biggest factor in efficiency so if you don't own the mill you are depending on someone else to mill the grain correctly for your setup....and they may not. It is better for the LHBS to mill too coarse because it keeps them from having to hear about people with stuck mash or sparge and they get to sell just a little more grain to compensate for the lower efficiency.

I actually have to change my setup a little I missed my gravity by .5 or .05 cant remember which.

If you are talking about a difference of like 1.050 vs 1.045 or 1.055, that is not too bad. If that happened to me, I would not do anything to adjust that batch of beer and I might adjust my estimated efficiency for the next batch...or I might just keep a note of it and see how my efficiency changes over the next few batches and then adjust.

Edit: Two of the bigger factors that I see that impact OG are grain crush and finished volume. A fine grain crush (which works with BIAB) seems to drive up extraction of sugars boosting your OG. Also, if you ended up with 0.5 gal more or less final beer, that will directly impact your OG. Often with a recipe (a kit or one from somebody else) it is not clear if the target volume is the amount you will package or the amount that goes into the fermenter. Some people strive to nail the target OG, where for me it is more important to have the correct volume into a 5 gal keg.

Last edited:
The reason I say it’s my setup is that the container I sparged in didn’t have a false bottom so it clogged the spout. So I had to ladle the mash into a strainer

Back