Quantcast

First All Grain

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kmlavoy

Reaction score
It was a day of firsts today:

I did my my first all grain batch today. It was a Vienna Lager (it's a good time of year to lager in Chicago). I ended up with about 71% efficiency, which I was pretty happy with, as I had never tested out my setup before. It was super rigged, and looked like I was drunk when I built it, which, I was. Also, my grain had been crushed already, as I don't have a mill, and I don't think they did a good job. That'll be next on my list of things to add to the setup.

I had my first boilover. It was tremendous, and I probably lost a good half gallon of liquid at least. Which sucks, since I came out low on batch volume.

I also had my yeast starter just not go whatsoever. I don't have any idea what the hell happened with that. I made it last night, left it on the stir plate all night, and when I woke up this morning, it was still dead. All my previous starters took off. I ended up going up to the LHBS, where they were extremely unhelpful, and got another yeast. The new starter is on the stir plate, and hopefully it'll go.

I also used my hand made chiller (also a drunken build), and managed to go to 78 degrees in about 15 minutes.

I also brewed with someone for the first time, which was lucky, as I couldn't have handled my BS setup by myself, and SWMBO would have been pressed into service (and not thanked me for it).

ALL GRAIN!!! BEER!!!