First All-Grain: Water Chemistry/pH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Reaction score
Just ordered a bunch of new stuff, and going all-grain with my next batch! :mug: I'm going with a dry irish stout. I'm wondering about water chemistry and mash pH.

I've read Palmer and Designing Great Beers and have tinkered with Brewater 3.0

According to my water report (published annually):
Hardness CaCO3 14
Ca 4.6
Mg 0.5
Na 1.5
Bicarbonate HCO3 10

Lacking much of anything - similar to Pilsen. So, I'm wondering when you add chemicals to the water? Is it in the HLT, or do I start the mash with only my tap water then check the pH and make adjustments as needed? What about the StarSan 5.2 buffer - how would I use that?

The pH of the mash is one of the critical steps, and you can deal with this by adding gypsum or calcium carbonate to the mash directly. If it doesn't take your values over the top, you can add stuff to both. Things like NaCl you might want to save just for the boil. Look for user Bobby_M here and watch the videos in his sig.

I checked out the Parts 1 and 2 of Bobby_M's videos - maybe I missed it, but didn't see any discussion on water chemistry/pH. Of all the videos I've watched, I've never seen anyone pull out their pH strips to check the mash pH, or add brewing salts...

I use the 5.2 stabilizer and I add it to my mash water, prior to doughing in. It is supposed to stabilize water to the 5.2ph. Sometimes I use it, other times I forget and my beer tastes the same.

It sounds like you are interested in the science behind brewing more than I, but my suggesstion is to keep your first couple of AG's easy on yourself. Just take really good notes, so that after you have done a few, you can look for patterns, inefficiencies and things like that. It will help you improve your technique over time.

take notes on hitting your temps. 1st, 2nd & 3rd runoff hydrometer readings (if you batch), pre-boil hydro, post boil hydro. measure all of your water additions. measure your pre-boil volume, post boil volume. Make a spreadsheet and keep these notes. All these things will help you down the line.

Cheers and good luck!

first AG? keep it simple man. use the straight tap water, but I'd probably treat with campden tabs to remove the chloramine which won't evaporate.

that or get spring water at the grocery store.

pH 5.2 isn't bad for hard water...I use it.

Ok I found the correct Bobby_M videos - I had watched the wrong ones before.

Lacking much of anything - similar to Pilsen. So, I'm wondering when you add chemicals to the water? Is it in the HLT, or do I start the mash with only my tap water then check the pH and make adjustments as needed? What about the StarSan 5.2 buffer - how would I use that?

I think you're good as far as mash efficiency goes. If I'm doing the math right, you are going to have around a 5.2 pH for the mash, which is fantastic. I always thought people used the 5.2 buffer in order to get down that low, so you're probably OK not using it.

If you haven't already seen it, the EZ Water Calculator is a great tool. Based on that, my main question is whether you know your chloride to sulfate ratio? That would probably be the only aspect I would futz with if your water was ill-suited for a style you want to make.

Ok I got it. Chloride 2 ppm, Sulfate 5 ppm. I found the thread where you'd posted the Water Modification Videos. Excellent! Thanks much!

Back