First all grain, very pleased.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerjb

Reaction score
I did my first all grain last weekend. Used the grain bill for EdWort's Haus, but had to sub the hops for challenger 'cause of brew store availability. Looks like i'll end up with more of a british pale ale, but that's just fine with me.

IMO All Grain was vastly easier than partial mashing was, and doesn't really add any time to my day. Granted, this is also the first brew i've done on my propane burner, and the first time i've used my new immersion chiller, so that would account for some massive savings.

I nailed my OG at 1.052, so I'm pleased. the cooler lost no heat over 60 minutes for mashing, though i think i miscalculated my sparge water, as the kettle was at 6.5 gallons and there was a still bit my second sparge coming out.

This forum has been an invaluable resource. I haven't posted a lot, but searching through teh old threads has really helped me make this progression.

Thanks all!

You did an excellent job and do not worry.

Only collect as much runnings as required for your preboil volume. If you boil away too much you can add leftover runnings to the last 15 minutes of the boil to top up to your batch volume. If you have too much preboil then it takes longer to boil off the extra volume and darkens the beer.

Try to keep fermentation temperature down to 65F if you have the means to do it as your beer will taste much better for the effort.

I ended up a hair short on my final volume. I really need a bigger pot, 30qt that came with the fryer is just too small. I should have added a bit more of those final runnings, but live and learn i guess.

I've kept the alepale in a 20g bucket with some water and frozen bottles of ice in it. Fermented right at 64 for the first 5 days. I'm excited for this one. it was also the first time i'd washed my yeast and made a starter, but it all turned out well, and was bubbling away in 14 hours.

i did my first AG about 3 weeks ago and i missed my temp had a hard time getting it right. the next week i tried again and i was withing 2 degrees. so now i should be right on. i choose to start with the same beer.

Latest posts

Back