First All Grain....Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Just wanted to share my first all grain experience from a week ago Friday. I brewed More Beer's Bitter American Clone Kit, and I couldn't be happier with my first all grain experience.

The recipe is:
7lb British Pale
1lb Munich
8oz Crystal 15L
8oz Cyrstal 40L

1oz of Cascade for 90
1oz of Liberty for 15
1oz of Casade for 1

1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Willamette Dry Hop (doing today).

I had a strike water temp of 163.9, which gave me a mash temperature of 152.2 @ 60m left. I mashed with 1.5 qts/lb, and stirred about every 20 minutes.
@60 min left temp was 152.2
@35 min left temp was 151
@15 min left temp was 149
I ended up collecting 2.3 gallons from my mash, and then batch sparged with 5 gallons of water at 168, and let sit for 10 minutes. I ended up collecting a total of 7.3 gallons. I unfortunately forgot to let my theif sample cool enough to take an accurate pre-boil og though.
I then did the 90 minute boil, and probably boiled a little to vigorously as I ended up with 4.5 gallons in my fermentor, and didn't top off with any water. So hopefully I will ended up with 4g total after trub and drop hop loss. My og in the fermentor was 1.043, and my reading I took last night was 1.008.

It probably fermented a little high as ambient temp was between 66-68, so it probably got up to 72-74 during the high formation, but still should be a great beer.

I am going to dry hop today, and hopefully able to buy my keg and a freezer by the time it is done dry hopping at the end of the week.

Next is the MoreBeer american pale ale II, and hopefully drinking these to beers at the same time will help me identify the properties of different grains and different hops a little better than extract.

Thats great! Congrats on a good batch. Make sure to show us some picks of the final brew and let us know how it is :)

As someone moving to all grain very soon, this is comforting. Sounds like a great recipe and great work!

I started all grain and have enjoyed every bit of it. My first several batches were recipes I found on these forums or kits from AHS. Since then I've gotten into building my own recipes. I VERY much enjoy the unlimited creativity I have with all grain recipe formulations. The only way I'd go to extract is if I was forced to by time or by space. All grain does take a bit more equipment which means more room.

I definitely think I was expecting it to be harder, and definitely thought I screwed up when I took a pre-boil OG reading and it was super low, but then realized a little later the wort was still above 140. I think my nervousness helped with over prepping and I knew exactly what I needed to do.

I definitely think I was expecting it to be harder, and definitely thought I screwed up when I took a pre-boil OG reading and it was super low, but then realized a little later the wort was still above 140. I think my nervousness helped with over prepping and I knew exactly what I needed to do.

Before I even brewed my first batch I had done so much research and watched several videos that I knew more about doing it than a guy who had been brewing for a year before I started. It definitely pays off.

Back