First All-Grain Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know that this thread title seems a bit tedious and overused, but here goes anyways. :eek:

This recipe is something that I put together to closely resemble the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous beer from Stone. I will be grabbing my grains from the LHBS tomorrow evening and I would like to know if anyone sees this as being off or if anything sets off some red flags.

Basically I used BrewTarget to fill in the blanks for the info that I already knew. The biggest question is related to hops. All that Stone mentions is that there are roughly 90 IBUs, Chinook for bittering, Simcoe and Amarillo for flavor, and Simcoe and Amarillo for Dry Hopping.

The biggest questions I have is related to hop usage. Questions that pop into my head:

1. Is this too little of Chinook in the bittering? Do I need more and reduce from flavor hops.
2. Should I do the opposite?
3. Is the amount of Dry Hops OK?
4. Would anyone suggest some other ratio for the Dry Hops (besides 50-50)
5. Since Stone didn't seem to mention aroma hops, i added some more at 1 min. Does anyone think these hops are decent aroma?

Recipe:
Imperial Cascadian Dark Ale - American IPA

================================================================================

Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.093
FG: 1.023
ABV: 9.1%
Bitterness: 94.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 33 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color

Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 17.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 12.000 oz No No 74% 60 L
Carafa III Grain 12.000 oz No No 70% 525 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU

Chinook 13.0% 2.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 72.2
Amarillo 9.5% 0.750 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 8.7
Simcoe 13.0% 0.750 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 11.9
Simcoe 13.0% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 0.7
Amarillo 9.5% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 0.5

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage

Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Thanks for the help

Work with what you have. Good, Bad, or clone its going to be beer and its going to taste good. Let is know how it turns out.

Is this your first AG beer or just the first time you did your own recipe? If it is the former, I would suggest something of a lower gravity for a first go.

Your boil volume is 5.75 gal, but you have 18.5 lbs of grain. What is your mash ratio .6 qts/lb? At a more normal 1.25 qts/lb you would use 5.75 gal. just in the mash. Is that where the boil volume comes from? But you have to sparge. How big is your brew pot? You would really like to sparge with at least an equal volume, if you can. But that would be another 5-6 gallons of wort.

There's a huge thread on this clone in the recipes section. IMO your flavor additions are too small. Most people recommend dry-hopping with 2oz of both simcoe and amarillo. I'm making this next weekend, here's the recipe i came up with after reading through the thread:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.47 %
1.00 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
3.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 107.8 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Gritsak, Thanks for the advice. I will probably alter the hop additions.

Is this your first AG beer or just the first time you did your own recipe? If it is the former, I would suggest something of a lower gravity for a first go.

Your boil volume is 5.75 gal, but you have 18.5 lbs of grain. What is your mash ratio .6 qts/lb? At a more normal 1.25 qts/lb you would use 5.75 gal. just in the mash. Is that where the boil volume comes from? But you have to sparge. How big is your brew pot? You would really like to sparge with at least an equal volume, if you can. But that would be another 5-6 gallons of wort.

I should have mentioned that I am planning on using the BIAB (Brew in a bag) technique. This will likely alter the amount of water either way. I will do some research into the requirements and post my findings.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back