First All Grain Recipe - Please Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnMaguire

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have made several extract beers but this is my first all grain recipe and I would love to get some feedback before I brew...

Oatmeal Stout

Base:
6.5 lbs American 2 row 1.75L
2 lbs Munich Light 10L
.5 lbs Weyermann Smoked 3L

Specialty:
1 lbs Oatmeal
.5 lbs Dark Crystal 75L
1 lbs Black Patent 680L
1 chocolate malt
.5 cracked rice hulls (adjusted to beer store advice)

unsure about the hops (picked out at store)
1 oz bittering at 60 min ~ 10 %
.5 oz at 15 ~ 5%
.5 oz at 0 ~ 5 %

That is a lot of Black Patent malt. It is pretty strong and I would cut it back as well. I prefer roasted barley in the stouts I have made.

Wow. I really appreciate the advice and the quick response. How does this sound for a slightly modified version.

Oatmeal Stout

Base:
2 lbs Munich Light 10L
.5 lbs Weyermann Smoked 3L

Specialty:
1 lbs Oatmeal
.5 lbs Dark Crystal 75L
.5 lbs Black Patent 680L
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs cracked rice hulls (adjusted to beer store advice)

.5 oz at 15 ~ 5%
.5 oz at 0 ~ 5 %

John

Do you specifically want the smoked malt in there? Because it's not usually in a stout. The weyermann smoked is smoked with beechwood specifically for rauchbeers.

I thought it might give it a unique flavor. Again, I am used to brewing with extract and having much fewer choices. Do you think it would be a bad idea?

That may be a little too roasty. If it were me I would take out the Black Patent, and use Black Barley instead of roasted barley, keeping the same amount (Roasted barley around 500SRM, regular roasted barley tends to be around 300). You may be able to do 1lb Roasted Barley (300srm) and .5 chocolate malt. In my extra stout I use .75lb Black Barley and .25lb Chocolate malt. I'm not sure about the Weyerman smoked malt, however there's nothing wrong with experimenting. Maybe if you wanted a little smokiness .25lb of peat smoked malt might work, but I'd get feedback from others about that. If it were me I would do this:

Code:
Base:
2 lbs Munich Light 10L

Specialty:
1 lbs Oatmeal
.5 lbs Dark Crystal 75L
.5 lbs black roasted barley (~500srm)
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs cracked rice hulls (adjusted to beer store advice)

.5 oz at 15 ~ 5%
.5 oz at 0 ~ 5 %

the peat smoke is going to be really out there though. I think the rauchmalt would lend some smoke without holy **** there's scotch in my stout.
The rauchmalt and peat malt are very very different smoked malts.

ODaniel - that is interesting but i'm not sure about the peat malt either (not that i'm sold on the smoked)...That recipe there seems kind of soft though. I was hoping to mash about 12-13 lbs of grain. hmmm

ps - this feedback is really great. I just found this forum tonight and I really like it!!!

***EDIT***
If you wanted to boost the weight a little... would you recommend modifying the base grain (maybe another .5 lbs on each) without tweaking the specialty, or would that dilute the flavor too much????

the peat smoke is going to be really out there though. I think the rauchmalt would lend some smoke without holy **** there's scotch in my stout.
The rauchmalt and peat malt are very very different smoked malts.

I was thinking since peat malt is used the in the stone smoked porter clone it might go well with this if he's wanting some smokiness. I'm not to familiar with smoked beers and malts though.

I think more 2 row would be fine. Might even want to consider some flaked barley. In my extra stout i used 9lbs 2row, 2.5lbs flaked barley and 1lb of flaked oats, along with the roasted grains previously mentioned. Turned out awesome, packed with roasted and chocolate notes. Granted yours is an oatmeal stout, adding some of that should be just fine.

Whenever I have a question with new beers that I make I reference "Brewing Classic Styles". Jamil's Oatmeal Stout does not use Black Patent but he uses some Victory malt for some nutty flavors as well as Black Roasted Barley. He also talks about roasting the oatmeal to get some nuttiness which to me sounds better than smoked malt.

Back