first all grain-recipe comments please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i'm gearing up for my first all grain, probably next week, i have a bunch of ingredients lying around that i was going to throw together, they were cheap/ left over from partial mashes etc so if i mess up i'm not too concerned about the cost of ingredients,
i've never made a recipe before so i'm basically asking if my first all grain goes ok, would this recipe taste any good?
the recipe is as follows

7 lb pale malt
1 lb toasted malt
1 lb raw barley

1 1/2 oz nz saaz 7.1%aa at 60,30 and 5 minutes ( 3 1/2 oz additions)

wyeast british ale yeast(can't remember the number off hand)

any comments/ suggestions?

cheers martin

Seems reasonable to me. Not sure about the raw barley (might be fine; I just don't know).

9 pounds of grain with 3-1/2 ounces of hops is going to be a pretty damn hoppy beer. I assume that's what you're going for.

I'd say go for it!

It seems you're looking at a 1.042-1.046 SG beer with 68 IBU, and sorta dark straw yellow looking. If you add about 3 more lbs of grain (I'd do vienna to get a bit of malt complexity and just a tad more color, but pale would work too), you'd be in IPA-land with a very hoppy IPA. As it is, you'd be making a really, really hoppy and slightly watery pale ale.

You're gonna want some more fermentables, either from malt extract, sugar, or grain.

was he saying 3.5 oz hops or 3 half oz additions??

if it was 1.5 total oz of 7% he would be good to go.

Maybe it is just late and I am reading it wrong...

Ohhh I think he does mean 1.5oz total. That makes way more sense. In that case, go for it! It'll be like a British Best Bitter with spicy saaz.

Back