First All Grain Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok so I've decided to try BIAB all grain for my next batch. This will be my first attempt at all grain. I'll be brewing Edwort's Pale Ale, but cutting the recipe in half to brew a 2.5 gallon batch. I have a few questions before I get started.

Will my 6.5 gal bucket be too large for primary for a 2.5-3 gal batch?
If I'm cutting the recipe in half, should I also pitch half of the yeast packet or can I still pitch the full packet?
Will this smaller batch, BIAB method affect the efficiency of my grains?
I plan on brewing this batch at my parents house and then taking to my place at some point. What stage would be better for the beer to travel in - secondary or bottled?

The bucket will be fine. In primary, head space is good.

I would pitch the whole packet

Effeciency should not be effected.

I would move it after pitching yeast, while in primary. The sloshing around during the drive will help areate the beer and help the yeast get started.

I'm no expert but these are the things that I would do. And RDWHAHB. You'll make beer either way!

Ok so I've decided to try BIAB all grain for my next batch. This will be my first attempt at all grain. I'll be brewing Edwort's Pale Ale, but cutting the recipe in half to brew a 2.5 gallon batch. I have a few questions before I get started.

Will my 6.5 gal bucket be too large for primary for a 2.5-3 gal batch?
If I'm cutting the recipe in half, should I also pitch half of the yeast packet or can I still pitch the full packet?
Will this smaller batch, BIAB method affect the efficiency of my grains?
I plan on brewing this batch at my parents house and then taking to my place at some point. What stage would be better for the beer to travel in - secondary or bottled?

Your 6.5 gallon bucket is fine. Use all of the yeast, unless the OG is 1.035 or less. The efficiency should be about the same.

For traveling, it'd be better to move it after it's bottled. I don't use a secondary, but if I did I wouldn't want to jostle it around.

Even though the 6.5 gallon bucket is fine for primary, I assume you're using a 3 gallon carboy for the secondary? Headspace in primary is fine, even desirable, but not for secondary.

Your 6.5 gallon bucket is fine. Use all of the yeast, unless the OG is 1.035 or less. The efficiency should be about the same.

For traveling, it'd be better to move it after it's bottled. I don't use a secondary, but if I did I wouldn't want to jostle it around.

Even though the 6.5 gallon bucket is fine for primary, I assume you're using a 3 gallon carboy for the secondary? Headspace in primary is fine, even desirable, but not for secondary.

Yes I'll be moving it to a 3 gallon carboy for secondary. Thanks for the advice!

I only pitched half the packet of yeast for my half batch because I planned to make another half size batch soon after and would use the rest of the yeast for that. My first batch seems to have fermented out just fine but I won't know for sure the attenuation for another week when it will be time for bottling.

Back