First All-Grain... Questions about the hot break.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

americanweirdo

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My first all-grain was a success! So far. We'll have to actually drink the stuff to find out how good it is.

The fermentation was extremely active but I was wondering about the chunky stuff. I've never seen chunks like this in any extract batches. The chunks were only visible once the krausen formed and fell.

I'm assuming this stuff is chunks of protein from the hot break... I used Irish Moss in the boil (which I've never done before). Could this have anything to do with the chunks being more noticeable, as if the irish moss is absorbing a lot of the proteins out of the beer causing larger than normal chunks.

If needed, I can take a picture later this evening and post it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I would not worry about it. There are times I get quarter size chunks floating around, but they always settle out after primary is complete.

good to know... thanks for all the help!

also, as i was dropping my hydrometer through the test cylinder, it somehow broke through the bottom of the cylinder and fell to the floor shattering into little pieces... so i'm not going to be able to know the OG or efficiency (ON MY FIRST ALL-GRAIN!!!) :(

brewed on sunday... LHBS closed. no gravity reading..... aaaarrrhggg!

hah - I think everyone has done this at one time or another. I broke mine shortly after I got it.

RDWHAHB for now... Lot of time to perfect your all grain procedure. Just enjoy your first all grain!

to make sure you you don't have that hydrometer problem twice, put some green scrubby pad in the bottom of your test cylinder.

wow...how did that happen? was it the plastic cylinder or glass? must've been glass...get a plastic one.

i always set it on the table first, i guess. it needs to be level anyway to get a good reading.

no worries on the gravity...you'll get it next time and you'll still have beer. how did it taste?

wow...how did that happen? was it the plastic cylinder or glass? must've been glass...get a plastic one.

i always set it on the table first, i guess. it needs to be level anyway to get a good reading.

no worries on the gravity...you'll get it next time and you'll still have beer. how did it taste?

it was plastic. it came with a removable bottom, but i sealed it without super-awesome-turbo-sticky glue. not sticky, super or turbo enough, i guess.

haven't tried it yet. still has secondary and kegging to go!

haven't tried it yet. still has secondary and kegging to go!
You should taste it at every stage. Such as teh sample you would have drawn for the the OG reading before breaking your hydrometer (you could have then just kept that in the fridge for when you got another hydrometer) and when you test for FG. Drink those samples or at least taste. them. Then over time you'll be able to tell how a beer is coming along at different stages by taste.

didn't think of that... i'll definitely remember next time.

so... what can tasting at all the stages tell you about the beer?

Once you see what it's supposed to taste like you can detect off flavors or problems or just make sure it's right at each stage. And just to have knowledge about the beer at different stages.

Back