First All grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_fash

Reaction score
Brewed my first all grain tonight, and made a total newb mistake. All grain = new brew pot, which I forgot to measure /volume.:mad: needless to say, I took a guess, and sparged until my temp adjusted gravity equaled my planned OG (BYO's Fat Tire Clone, OG 1053)
After my boil, I was left with about 4 gal of (great tasting) wort, OG 1071. I'd already dumped my Mash tun.
Not wanting 4 gal of imperial Fat Tire, I added 1 gal water, new OG 1056, still super tasty.
Correct thing to do, or big mistake?
:confused:
Appreciate any feedback

Thanks,
Dan

Brewed my first all grain tonight, and made a total newb mistake. All grain = new brew pot, which I forgot to measure /volume.:mad: needless to say, I took a guess, and sparged until my temp adjusted gravity equaled my planned OG (BYO's Fat Tire Clone, OG 1053)
After my boil, I was left with about 4 gal of (great tasting) wort, OG 1071. I'd already dumped my Mash tun.
Not wanting 4 gal of imperial Fat Tire, I added 1 gal water, new OG 1056, still super tasty.
Correct thing to do, or big mistake?
:confused:
Appreciate any feedback

Thanks,
Dan

You will be absolutely fine and your new OG is still high enough to achieve between 5.2 & 6% abv. Great range to be in, 6 - 6.5 abv. is my magic number. The gallon you added would have been a gallon from the Sparge anyway. Hope you didn't use crappy tap water tho ;)

Our tap water in Oklahoma City is generally pretty good, however I always brew with bottled spring or at least drinking water.
But I had always been told you shouldn't add water to an all grain, as you would an extract or partial mash. That was my concern.

Thanks again for feedback

You're all good. Maybe less hopiness, but probably not even detectable. Before your next brew, get a stick, measure out 1-8 gallons on it, big help!

Back