Quantcast

First All Grain (Pics)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have posted in various locations about this brewday so I will make it short and sweet. Please let me know if you see anything in my processes that need attention.

SMaSH:

Vienna 10lbs
Northern Brewer 1oz (60 min)
Northern Brewer 1oz (20 min)
Northern Brewer 1oz (5 min)
Nottingham

Mash in

Target Temp

First Runnings after Vorlauf (sp?)

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Done!

All on a cold rainy Oregon day

I had issues tranfering to fermenter and lost some beer in the process. Other than that no real issues besides bad efficeincy.

-Cheers!

MacBruver

Reaction score
Looks good!! I can't wait to get my AG setup going.

Is there any worry about hot side aeration from having the brew flow into the kettle like that? I always thought you were supposed to have a hose on that barb.

And are you doing fly or batch sparging? kinda looks like both.

Reaction score
Looks good!! I can't wait to get my AG setup going.

Is there any worry about hot side aeration from having the brew flow into the kettle like that? I always thought you were supposed to have a hose on that barb.

And are you doing fly or batch sparging? kinda looks like both.
Search HSA on the forum. it is a myth. Don't spend any time worrying about it.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about hot side aeration, but I was wondering if I was doing that right. Hopefully someone will chime in on that matter.

I did a double batch sparge. I discovered that I lose way more temperature than I thought during the sparge. I will have my HLT temp at 185 next time before I start sparging.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Search HSA on the forum. it is a myth. Don't spend any time worrying about it.
Even better, listen to this episode of Brew Strong. The guest, Dr. Charles Bamforth, is head of the Brewing Science Program at UC-Davis.

Well done, CPAle! To quote BierMuncher, 'you've now experienced the paradigm shift that is....... all-grain brewing'.

jgln

Reaction score
Either that is an optical illusion on the "cold break" pictures or those are the smallest axes I have ever seen.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
Reaction score
Well to put it in plain english, hot side aeration is the splashing of the unfermented wort. What you can do if you please, as most of us do, is to fit a lenght of tubing on the outflow of your mash tun to deliver the wort to the kettle. HSA aside, this may make it easier and neater to drain the tun.

Excellent job...esp. for a 1st time!

zippyslug31

Reaction score
Good job, looks like it went well. Congrats.

Small world, I'm in Tualatin.... and am going to be doing my first AG in a day or two. Wish me luck.

IPAman

Reaction score
great pics of your process, I am gathering my equipment to do my first AG. Question on your mash tun. how did you install the thermometer ? what parts did you use? thanks.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I actually bought it from a guy who got it from morebeer.com. And, obviouisly it was already assembled as you see it. You can go to the website and check it out; maybe the conversion directions will be available...

IPAman

Reaction score
I actually bought it from a guy who got it from morebeer.com. And, obviouisly it was already assembled as you see it. You can go to the website and check it out; maybe the conversion directions will be available...
Thanks for the info, went to their website, they will only install that themometer if you buy their mash tun.

wedward

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
nice job - you mentioned the sparge temp - have you thought of covering it and putting the plumbing inside the top to keep a better temp rather than raising it too high? I can see 180-185 if following something like BM's Hybrid Sparge method, but you seem to have a nice feed tube there into the MLT.

hopmadness

Reaction score
What is underneath that grain? False bottom? Looks like you have excellent flow coming out of that mash tun. I need to switch my rig.....tons of stuck sparges with my setup (false bottom).

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so this beer turned out so good that I had to come post it here. There is not a beer in the store that I would buy over this stuff. I will be making it again this weekend!

Its been near 11 weeks since brew day. Four months in primary....God I love this beer. I think it will be the house special

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have something very similar in my primary right now. I used 11lbs of vienna to create 6.25 gallons of 1.060 wort and did a 30 minute addition instead of 20 and used US-05 instead of notty. Can't wait to try it.

OLB

Reaction score
Ok so this beer turned out so good that I had to come post it here. There is not a beer in the store that I would buy over this stuff. I will be making it again this weekend!

Its been near 11 weeks since brew day. Four months in primary....God I love this beer. I think it will be the house special
I made the same Vienna/NB SMaSH based on DeathBrewer's recipe. It has been in primary for 7 weeks. I have been putting off bottling, but maybe now I'll let it sit another week or two. Sounds promising. I did keg a batch of the same recipe a coupl eof night ago but have not had a chance to taste. Looking forward to it.

And BTW, great job.

Runyanka

Reaction score
4 months in primary???
Next time transfer to secondary to bulk condition. You know, to free up a primary :)

Trubadour

Reaction score
Wow, I haven't kept anything fermenting that long, much less in primary, but patience is a virtue! God I love beer.

Hotspur

Reaction score
I think he meant four weeks in primary? Four months haven't passed since the first post.

Roman

Reaction score
I think he meant four weeks in primary? Four months haven't passed since the first post.
Dude, thanks! I must not be awake yet, cuz my brain was smokin' on the 11 weeks=4 months bit . . . :drunk:

QueenCityALER

Reaction score
Looked pretty tight! Well done. If those hops become bothersome, put 'em in micro-filter hop bags and boil 'em in these. Helps transfer a ton, and helps keep hop trash out of the fermentor. Good brew day! Now make more!:D

khiddy

Reaction score
Good lookin' pics, fellow Oregonian! I think I remember that particular rainy day...