First all grain not enough wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally4

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my first all grain when I chilled wort and got it into
My fermenter I was left with a little under 4 gallons is that alright should I use same amount of yeast need some advice on what to do

I would give it the full pitch of yeast. Then figure out where I miscalculated my volumes. Most likely was in your boil off rate.

apparatus said:
I would give it the full pitch of yeast. Then figure out where I miscalculated my volumes. Most likely was in your boil off rate.

Yea It was def. I'n boil off or not enough when I sparged I will next time mark my bins so I know exactly how much I have. So pretty much I have a batch of 3 1/2 instead of 5 nothing I can do now right?

Did you take a hydrometor reading? If your boil off was higher than expected your starting gravity should also be higher, allowing you to add some top off water to get to your desired volume and gravity.

I would just pitch the yeast (take the OG first), let it ferment, bottle/keg when ready and then enjoy. Plan to brew again as soon as possible. Figure out where you went sideways on your volumes so that you can correct and not encounter this again (or at least not anytime soon)...

Personally, I'd rather have less of a stronger brew than more of a weaker one. IF the brew will be on target if you add more [safe] water to it before pitching the yeast, then you could. Or you could just work with what you've got...

For a first all grain batch, there's a lot worse that could go wrong than just missing your post-boil volume.

My OG was off as well I was wondering if I could just add water but wasent sure so now the yeist is pitched I guess that's how you learn I guess haha I went with just working with what I have hopefully doesn't screw it up to much but as I noticed today all grain is def cheaper and I will be trying my second batch later this week

Back