First All Grain. MLT problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
I did my first all grain recipe yesterday, BeirMunchers Centennial beer. Everything went about as well as I expected. I learned a lot, and next time I can improve my method.

I had one significant problem, the wort wouldn't drain out of the MLT worth a darn. I'm using a 48 quart cooler with 12" of stainless steel braid. The through valve is a quarter turn ball valve.

The drain hose is 1/2" reinforced vinyl, and I was getting a pretty good flow to start out, and it petered out to just a dribble (no dribble jokes). I blew back through the drainline trying to free up the screen with no luck (no blow jokes either :) . I was turning the ball valve from closed to wide open, and I read on here that it's suggested to ease the valve open and not go full blast from the get go.

Anyhow, I used the mash paddle to move the grain around, and finally got most of the wort out of the MLT. Is there anything that I can use to "test" the MLT? I really don't want to dump in a full recipe to test this thing. Oatmeal? Oatmeal and rice? ???

I don't have anything inside of the braided SS filter, but I read that some are inserting SS springs to hold the braid open. I wonder if that would help.

I have a serious Chocolate Espresso Stout recipe to do next, and I don't want to dork around with a stuck sparge.

Thanks to all:

One suggestion I have is don't crank the valve all the way open when you vorlauf or sparge. A quick outflow of wort will compact the grain bed and staunch the flow. Just open it a little bit and if everything seems ok, open it a little bit more.

Is your SS braid actually SS? HD and Lowes sell those hoses with nylon(or some other cheap plastic) braid that looks like SS. Do the sharp ends cut or prick your fingers and it hurts when you touch the end you cut off?

I believe I got a SS Braid from Home Depot. I think it was a toilet hose and I cut the ends off and removed the hose inside. After 11 batches, still looks normal with no off taste. Must be SS :D

What could you suggest for a test? I read on here about the plastic vs stainless. I checked mine and it's actually stainless. The frayed ends will prick your finger (no prick jokes).

Thanks for your input....

The smaller diameter hose braids can collapse. 1" Hose braid is very sturdy. It is commonly found in the form of water heater supply hoses. These are not always with the sink/toilet/etc braided hoses at the store. I have used it with over 16lbs of grain (rye and wheat included) with no issues. Rice hulls are always a plus after that.

I use a 30" one. Has worked perfectly for many batches (sparged 33# of grain through it 2 weeks ago). I have done wheats and rye through it. No problem.

Do a search on bazooka screen for one that will not crush. I don't know if that one is any less prone to stuck sparges, but it it sure looks like a brick sh*thouse.

Try inserting the springs. I did it and it works great. No downside that I can think of, other than the $0.89 I spent on them.

I got a complete kit from Bargain Fittings, and it included 1/2" fittings throughout, plus a large diameter braid about 8 or 9 inches long. I have had NO troubles lautering with this setup. I do crack the ball valve and vorlauf at a slower rate (maybe 2-3 quarts), but when it clears out I gradually open it up and the wort comes out like water out of a storm drain.

I also recommend opening it slow to let the grain bed set and then slowly opening it to full bore.

Check the braid to see if it has some spaces you see through. If you can't see any holes then the mesh is too tight.

Back