first all grain... low og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
i just brewed my first all grain. its been 24 hrs. the og is suppose to be 1.040 my reading in 1.028. what did i do wrong.. can i fix. it...also tastin the wort from og reading its really bitter hoppy. is all this normal

Do you mean the gravity has dropped to.028 in 24hrs through fermentation?? Or you missed your OG by that much? If your testing the gravity after 24hrs STOP!! It should have just started fermenting good and it'll go for almost a week, so your gravity will continue to drop. If you mean you missed your OG during your mash..welcome to the club took me 3 AG before I hit 75%. As far as the taste your drinking unfinished wort it's not going to be but so good.And we'll need to see your recipe.

according to the instructions my og was suppost to be 1.040.. however it was 1.028. ... ok i know my og is low.. does this mean the wort(beer) is still good or just going to have a low abv.. should i worry about the low og... and can i boost the og, should i.,?

recipe
7.0 rahr 2-row malt
.75 honey malt
.25 belgin buiscult malt

It will still ferment fine, you'll just have low abv. My first ag was a little more than 10 points off. Found that I rushed my sparge runoff. Second time around I hit 83% just by slowing down the runoff. Could be your crush too.

Search for batch spraging...increased my eff big time...my first AG I had the same issue....

It will still ferment fine, you'll just have low abv. My first ag was a little more than 10 points off. Found that I rushed my sparge runoff. Second time around I hit 83% just by slowing down the runoff. Could be your crush too.

I just recently completed my first AG and had similar results and hopefully pinpointed my error to this as well (rushed sparge).

I'll know for sure in a couple weeks when i do my 2nd batch.

you might have better luck if you post this in the AG sub-forum. Your problem is in the brewing process, not fermentation.

That being said (and as Bobby mentioned), post your entire process (including temps, volumes, ratios, etc) and we can help critique where you went wrong.

When doing your first few AG's it doesn't hurt to add a couple extra pounds of base malt to make up for lower beginning efficiency. Then when you dial in your process you can back off a bit.

When doing your first few AG's it doesn't hurt to add a couple extra pounds of base malt to make up for lower beginning efficiency. Then when you dial in your process you can back off a bit.

Wish someone would have told me this my first time around. Worst case scenario, you wind up with more alcohol. :ban:

Back