First All Grain Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
My first all-grain has started to ferment. It is a German style ale with 10 pounds of 2 row as the malt. I used the Wyeast German Ale yeast and made a starter with Pilsner DME. The Starter did not Krausen. The beer itself is going crazy (krausen through the airlock, beer through the airlock. I put the beer on a bed of ice water today to ensure that the temperature stays 60-65 today. I thought that since the starter was a pretty uneventful fermentation, that the beer would be also. Does AG have an effect on fermentation?

I should have used the 1.25 inch blow-off tube in the carboy instead of my plastic pail.

When using ale yeasts the ferment can be quite violent. :) Be careful not to get the yeast too cold or it may stop fermentation. Insulation of the area around the fermenter will help a lot and of course if you can control the cold it would be better. This is why most of us go to refrigerators or better yet freezers. If it gets below 62 and looks real slow then raise to 65F(carboy or pail fermenter contents). You want fermentation to be as constant as can be at 65F.

Thanks for the information. :rockin: I have noticed that my fermentations are more violent with liquid yeast than it was with dry yeast. Maybe it is the type of yeast. German Ale yeast is supposed to be at 60-65 and I think it was at 68 during the day yesterday. I have put it outside at night to cool it off, then used a water/ice bath to keep it coold today.

I have a kegerator, but there is Milk in it right now. I need to get something to control temp in it.

Back