First All Grain brew tomorrow, need some help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
Its been a while since I have been around here, during busy bike season I cant get much brewing time in. Anyways, I finally finished my mashtun and built up a recirculating immersion wort chiller. I am so excited to use my new toys! I still have a few necessities, such as a pot, as that is very essential. I am looking for help preparing, and help figuring out a good first recipe. I want something simple. I am thinking a stout, as the cool season is coming. I have no idea where to begin picking out ingredients. Im sure the local folks would be more than happy, but I am just looking for suggestions here as well.

I also am wary of the process, I have read much about it, plan on doing batch sparging and have a good feel, but if someone could tell me where to source information about ingredients to use, temps to mash, water amounts etc. I have a demo copy of beersmith, but it seems to not work so well. It said something like 262 lbs grain for a 10gal 1.111OG.

I would be more than happy to give you a recipe as well as post how to. What kind of stout you looking for? Sweet, dry or oatmeal? Can you give me a commercial example?

I have no commercial brews that come to mind. I am hoping something sweet, but still dry like dark chocolate. I really would like to do an oatmeal, actually, yeah, an oatmeal recipe would be superb!

How does this look?

9lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1lb Oat Flakes
1lb Roasted Barley
1oz Chinook (30min)

Here is an example on BrewSmith. If you have any inventory, I could plug that in instead of what came up. Like hops or yeast.....whatever. I am assuming you have a pot for full boils and a 10gallon igloo cooler. Let me know if it all makes sense. Personally, I would leave out the dry-hop and put in 1.5 oz fuggles in the boil and that is all as far as hops. That gives you about 22 IBU's. If you like hoppier, let me know, but in a stout, I like very little hops.

Prairie Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/11/2003
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Douglas Taylor
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 58.33 %
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.5 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.10 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 39.4 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 34.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.41 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Another way to go would be to buy the morebeer kit Silk Stout. That one sounds goooooood!

No time for ordering anything off the internet! MUST BREW NOWWWWWW!!!!

I am a little excited to brew again, it has been months!

dollhousebrewery said:
How does this look?

9lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1lb Oat Flakes
1lb Roasted Barley
1oz Chinook (30min)

A pound of roasted barley will probably be overkill on the roast. How bout a 1/2 pound roast and then a 1/2 pound of chocolate malt.

Lose the chinook and use East Kent Goldings or Fuggles.

Add 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain for your initial mash. I'd suggest a 163-165 strike temp to get your initial mash at around 150-152-ish.

Mash for 60 minutes and then begin draining after recirculating the first 4-5 quarts.

Get your sparge water to 170 degrees and add the same amount, stir sligthly, let rest for 10 minutes and drain/recirculate again. Plan on a third sparge with enough water to get you to a 6.5 gallon preboil volume.

Boil down to 5.25 gallons, chill to 70 degrees and pitch your yeast.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

I would do 3/4 Chinook for 60 instead of more for less time. Took Bier's suggestions as well.
Howsabout this?

Beer
Oatmeal Stout

Date: 9/28/2007
Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.55 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 33.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 27.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.54 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F

60 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

So sparging is not only for rinsing the grains, but to get you to your desired pre boil volume? I want to start 1.25qt/gal grain, sparge 1.25qt/gal and sparge again to make up any extra water needed (from tun deadspace)?

Just empty your MLT after your mash. Fill 4.5 gallons with 170 water, stir well for 1o mins and drain. Wallaaaa, you have 6.5 gallons to get you to 5 gallons after boil-off. There have been some efficiency arguments about doing a mashout (getting your initial water to 170 before draining) and doing 2 equal sparges (4.5 gallons divided by 2). Some like all, some only do one. It is really your choice. Most people who do batch sparging, don't do a mashout. And most people who do 2 sparges do it because their MLT is only 5 gallons so they have to divide it up. I like to do the 2 batch sparges to rinse well, but the mashout seems to take a gallon, so it means less sparge water. Clear as mud? Also Bier was saying to just fill with sparge until you get to the 6.5 gallon mark on your pot. That is pretty much the same thing if you don't want to measure the sparge water. 6 in one half dozen the other...

My mistake, I knew it was 1.25qt per lb i just typed the wrong thing, its been a long few days of building my mash tun (mainly finding that stupid SS washer HA!) I kissed it when I finally did find it.

It went decently, i THINK I started with 6.5gal at boil, after i ended with ~4, I can not say yet, but I also ended with an OG of 1.065? Does that seem reasonable for the recipe?

I think the oatmeal caused a stuck sparge, I could not get the mash to flow out the first drain. Temp was low, I forgot to pre warm the tun... mashed at 149. Sparge went great! Added 5 gallons to sparge, maybe a mistake? If so please tell me why. Didnt take a preboil gravity reading, which i probably should have. The wort chiller worked great ~25 min. I have the cold running to the top not bottom, I also didnt whirlpool it. Should I switch in to the bottom? I will next time to compare results. I only have holes in the tube inside the stainless hose on the bottom, maybe another mistake, will fix for next time. Slight leak in the valve assembly for my tun, it is just too large a washer on the inside though. Got a Polar Ware 15gal, AWESOME!

I had so so soooooo much fun brewing all grain! I cant wait for next batch, maybe Oatmeal #2!

Thank you all,
Nate

Which recipe did you end up using? No way you boiled off 2.5 gallons in an hour. Must have started with less, or you have more than you think. I don't have a hose inside my braid, only ss clamps. Did you correct the OG for temp? What temp was the wort when you took the OG and post the recipe and I will get you an estimated OG and your efficienct (in BS under brewhouse efficiency).

I corrected for temp, no preboil OG, only post boil (oops). I think my marking (a rip in the label) was not quite as accurate as I was hoping. I may be underestimating the carboy measurement, its my first time using the 6.5gal. I ended up using this recipe:

Oatmeal Stout

Date: 9/28/2007
Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb

Carbonation and Storage

How do you guys mark your pots? Is there a good way to make some marking, aside from putting a sight on it?

dollhousebrewery said:
Beer Profile

Mash Profile

How do you guys mark your pots? Is there a good way to make some marking, aside from putting a sight on it?

Did you mash in with 13.75 qt water? Then sparge with 5 gallons? I would say you have pretty close to 5 or even a little more on your hands. In the 6.5 gallon fermenter, there is a lot of head space. You can mark your pot with a paint pen on the outside or you can drain your runnings into your bottling bucket first to see how much you have. I took a paint pen and marked per gallon on mine.

Yes, mash in was 13.75qt, maybe got a gallon in the pot from it (it was stuck BAD). I sparged with 5.

Did you try the blow through the tube method? I am assuming that you did take the original tubing out of the hose and replaced it. Maybe try no insert next time and clamp the braid or at least put more holes in the tubing.

Did not know of the blow through the tube method, better try that if it happens again. I am going to put some more holes in the tubes before next time. They all were on the bottom of the tube too, so that could have effected the outcome. We will see how that goes.

dollhousebrewery said:

I just did my first AG brew this past weekend. What I did was take a wood stick and used a 2 qt measuring cup to add 1 gallon at a time into my 10 gallon pot. Then, I took a marker and marked off each gallon level on the stick. I did this up to 8 gallons. I used the other side of the stick for my 5 gallon pot. I marked both sides so I wouldn't make a mistake and use the wrong side.

Hope this helps.

Back