First All Grain Brew : Need a simple recipe to start.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cochise99

Reaction score
Hey folks gonna do my first all grain brew tomorrow and looking for suggestions for a nice simple brew with as little fermentation time as possible and something with a single step infusion being a newbie as i am . Id ideally like a pale ale or a wheat beer. I have 11 days before I got back to work too. Thats why I'm looking for a little fermentation time. Thanks

Try a SMaSH beer or there are plenty of good recipes for Pale Ales in the Recipe section.

Thanks all . Very good suggestions . I think i'm gonna do a centennial blonde. Looks awesome. Appriciate the guidance

11 days is not enough time to give the yeast unless you're planning on a secondary fermentation.

It's better to be at work when it ferments so you are not messing with it.

Unless you leave the state for work, then 11 days is probably not enough to ferment, bottle/condition, then drink.

Yeah in 11 days I leave for two weeks so just trying to make up some kinda plan. Im really considering laying down some cash for a kegging set up.

That's a good idea. The easiest thing to do is just to leave it for 11 days plus 2 weeks in the primary fermenter, and then cold crash and rack to a keg when you get back. Wait 3 or 4 weeks for the beer to condition in the keg. The first glass or so will probably be yeasty, but it will be clear after that. Of course, that's a lot of extra expense when you consider the keg setup, kegerator, etc. - but that's how I went and I've never regretted it.

How are you maintaining fermentation temperature in the primary?

I really like the idea of 1 ounce cascade at 60 and 1 ounce falconers flight at 15 mins. Should be beautiful!

Scratch that. Same as above but put .5 of an ounce of falconers at 30 mins and the other .5 at 15 mins.

Scratch that. Same as above but put .5 of an ounce of falconers at 30 mins and the other .5 at 15 mins.

3 oz of Cascades at 60 minutes is crazy high for a 5 gallon batch. You're going to be adding 60-80 IBU with no flavor or aroma. I would do 1-1.5oz of cascade for bittering (maybe even less) and then split the rest up for a 5 minute & flameout addition. That should lend a bit to the flavor and heavily to the aroma.

3 oz of Cascades at 60 minutes is crazy high for a 5 gallon batch. You're going to be adding 60-80 IBU with no flavor or aroma. I would do 1-1.5oz of cascade for bittering (maybe even less) and then split the rest up for a 5 minute & flameout addition. That should lend a bit to the flavor and heavily to the aroma.

Ya that's why I suggested for the poster to use 1 ounce of cascade at 60 mins and the some later additions. I vote .5 falconers at 30 and .5 at 15 mins

I guess it depends on whether you want a hoppy beer or want to strike a balance between malt and hops. The following is less hoppy. You don't have to use Nottingham yeast; any yeast appropriate to the style will be fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Did you get a kegging system? Given the quick turn-around in the recipe, you might be able to transfer to the keg before you leave if the FG has fallen sufficiently and you cold crash before racking. You're somewhat constrained by your schedule, and leaving the beer in your primary will probably do no harm.

I went with the Centennial Blonde after. Brewed it on Monday . Had some fun , can defiantly see this getting addictive. I was constantly doing something and I forgot to put the bazooka strainer in the cooler HAHA, already had the strike water in . I just chalked it up to being a newbie. But everything else went pretty smooth other than my hose freezing up and my burner giving out when I was heating up my strike water, got another for back up lol.

I hit the specific gravity after my boil was done and put it in the fermenting tub but when i left it the room overnight and checked it in the morning the heater had tripped the breaker it might have been about 65 degrees in the room. I hope it didn't effect the fermenting too much. Anyhow I'm hoping to bottle before i leave on thursday. As for kegging i might have to wait until next month. Looking for a red irish ale to try next. Thanks for all the advice folks

My first beer (kit from NB) was an Irish Red Ale. I was hooked from then on. Nottingham will tolerate a fairly low temperature; keeping your ambient temperature at 65F is not a bad idea as you can go as high as 70F in the fermenter. Good luck and welcome to the journey.

I went with the Centennial Blonde after. Brewed it on Monday . Had some fun , can defiantly see this getting addictive. I was constantly doing something and I forgot to put the bazooka strainer in the cooler HAHA, already had the strike water in . I just chalked it up to being a newbie. But everything else went pretty smooth other than my hose freezing up and my burner giving out when I was heating up my strike water, got another for back up lol.

I hit the specific gravity after my boil was done and put it in the fermenting tub but when i left it the room overnight and checked it in the morning the heater had tripped the breaker it might have been about 65 degrees in the room. I hope it didn't effect the fermenting too much. Anyhow I'm hoping to bottle before i leave on thursday. As for kegging i might have to wait until next month. Looking for a red irish ale to try next. Thanks for all the advice folks

Did my first AG last weekend,(Raging Red Irish Ale) with this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/raging-red-irish-red-ale-239188/

Very easy to do, and looks like it will turn out to be a great beer.

Back