First All Grain & BIAB - Check My Plan Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to copy and paste a spreadsheet, but it didn't work well. I have attached a scan of my brew plan/recipe. I hope this works.

I am only 2 batches into this hobby, but decided to try my hand at ag. I am looking for a little help from you experts. A double check on my process, variables (top of spreadsheet), efficiency calcs, and water calcs would be greatly appreciated.

I decided to figure things with a spreadsheet rather than brewsmith. I figure after I learn how the calcs are really done, I might switch to something more automated.

Also, I plan to dunk sparge, but I think I might be able to do a true BIAB and keep it in one pot. I think I need to mash 7 gal water and 8.5 lbs of grain in an 8.5 gal pot. Will that work?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BIAB Post.jpg.jpg

I just did my first BIAB AG, so I'm not going to be a lot of help, but as for your volume goes, a 8.5 gallon pot should work...
Start with a 1:3 ratio of water/grains (1 gallon water to 3 lbs grain), so 3 gallons of water should cover the grains, but if not, add more and keep track for future brews.
Then after the rest, lift the bag and squeeze excess.
Pour your sparge water through the grains to = the beginning boil volume.
Also, especially with BIAB, mill your grains fine. I milled mine too coarse, and lost a lot of efficiency.
Hope that helps.

First thing you need to consider is the amount of water you will boil off. I plan for about a gallon during the 60 minutes but it isn't critical. Then decide how much wort you want to go into the fermenter. I like about 5 1/2 gallons so I can rack it off the trub when it is time to bottle and get at least 2 cases of bottles. From that I decide that I need about 6 1/2 gallons in my pot. Bring that to the strike temp (calculated by an online calculator based on the weight and temperature of the grain bill, likely about 160 to 165 F.)
Stir in your grains very vigorously so you get everything well mixed. I can fit that much grain and water into my 7 1/2 gallon pot (barely, but it fits) so your 8 1/2 gallon should be fine. Check the temperature of the mix. Put the lid on, wrap it up with something that insulates (I wrap a bath towel around mine but sleeping bags or blankets work too) and start your timer. If your grain is crushed/ground pretty fine, your conversion will take less than the 60 minutes but that much time won't hurt.
Pull the bag out and let it drain back into the pot, then squeeze the bag as though it owes you hundreds of dollars. Your grain absorptions will be pretty minimal, probably between a pint and a quart if you squeeze hard. You don't need to do a sparge because you will have squeezed out nearly all the sugar laden wort but you can if you wish.

Just my opinion, but your overall volumes seem low. .25 gal. or 1 quart trub loss seems very low, I get huge yeast cakes FWIW. Boiloff also seems a bit low??? I would start w/ 1 gal additional water. JMO

Thanks for the help guys. I will increase my trub volume and boiloff as suggested.

I think it my be time to just give it a try...

When I do BIAB, I do a large dunk sparge - I'd increase yours at least a gallon. Remember that grain holds a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes of dunking (stirring the grain ocassionally) - I pour off the liquid into my boil pot, then squeeze the grains as much as I can. I then leave the grain bag in an extra pot or bucket - when I have 20 min left in the boils I usually have a cup or two of liquid that drained from the bag and add that to the boil. I only went over 8 lbs once - it was too much of a hassle. I used LME to make up the difference.

Now, I've got a mash tun so I'll use that unless I do a simple batch.

>>Also, I plan to dunk sparge, but I think I might be able to do a true BIAB and keep it in one pot. I think I need to mash 7 gal water and 8.5 lbs of grain in an 8.5 gal pot. Will that work?

You will end up with > 6 gallons in a 8.5 gallon pot.
So be careful of a boil over.
Make sure you have a water sprayer and spray down potential boil overs near the start of the boil.

I'm not so sure you want to mash thinner than 2.5Q/LB.

What you might want to do is hold back additional (hot) water and try a sparge for 5-10 minutes. I don't know how effective a dunk sparge is compared to a "set the bag in a pot and let it sit - stirring occasionally" sparge.

If you end up with less water than you need, just add cold water after chilling. It's no problem at all.

>>
You will end up with > 6 gallons in a 8.5 gallon pot.
So be careful of a boil over.
Make sure you have a water sprayer and spray down potential boil overs near the start of the boil.

Or you can use FermcapS, which in my opinion, works better.

Back