first all grain beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan5159

Reaction score
i have ordered my first all grain package and plan on brewing this weekend. i am brewing a five gallon batch of Wild Child Mild. so excited ans nervous that i'm gonna goof it up. any advice?

take your time and double check everything.. I have done three all grains and that seems to be the best thing to remember.
You have a recipe? also are you batch sparging?

Not sure how much experience you have brewing, but I had many years in when I did my first all grain. The first few batches were rough. I had always used idophor or chlorine to sanitize. What finally helped me turn the corner was to switch to Star San and go no rinse. A little bit in a spray bottle and I could get everything sanitized in no time. Also, put a lid on it and store it for at least a month. Then, over the next few batches, I was able to get my timing down and not work my azz off on brew day. Luck and let us know how it turns out. - Dwain

Work through each step in your head. If you cant work every single step in your head then go back and read some material. Also the wort is a LOT hotter than you think after the boil so make sure you have a cooling method ready! Good luck and have fun!!!

Here's one: Double check your amounts when you are getting close to the end and make sure you're good.

My son and I went all-grain 3 batches ago and every one since then has found us at the end with just under 5 gallons (were going for a full-boil) and we had to add up. This isn't how we were doing it for partial mash so the all-grain changed it up enough so that we had to start working that way.

You'll do fine. Enjoy!

PS- there is definitely a noticeable difference in the mouthfeel of the all-grain brews we've done. You're gonna like it.

Always check your valves and make sure they're closed. Can't tell you how many times I've left a valve open. I always catch it right away, but it's still annoying as hell.

make a step by step checklist (brewlist) with all the amounts/temps/steps/items list.

+

most important steps:
1) have a good beer while you do it
2) when you are all but done - brew is in fermenter and yeast is in, pick up your favorite kid story book and read it some (preferably something tasty)
3) pat fermenter and mumble something like "make a good beer, make a tasty beer" after all is done

rest is mere details!

my last batch was my first all grain. i undershot my absorption rate, but other than that, it went pretty well. i ended up with the gravities i was shooting for, and just a hair under two cases. i watched a lot of youtube videos on all grain + batch sparging. also, a lot of reading here in these forums. those two sources helped A LOT.

i'd say what i probably could have been more prepared for was all the heated water that i needed. but even that wasn't much of a setback. you actually have a lot of time in between mashing and boiling and transferring. so getting thingss all set up, weighed, and ready to add into the boil helps too.

i'm very eager to do my second all grain batch, which is scheduled in three weeks. garde de biere. i'm hooked on farmhouse beers!

edit - yeah, like what andy said above, get a good beer to sip while brewing. oh, music, i like good radio. also, send the wife and kids shopping or something. lastly, invite a buddy over.

I brewed my first all grain batch last weekend. I was surprised at how well it went. I did a lot of checking and double checking of temperatures before I mashed and during. At the end of everything I made something that the yeast are currently enjoying, so I guess it worked. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back