First all grain beer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdkurth

Reaction score
Christmas treated me well and I got the equipment needed for my first all grain batch. I am heading down to Florida in about 2 months and would like to make a good beer to sip on the beach.

Any suggestions?

If you are looking for a beer to travel with and to be enjoyed on a beach I would suggest a wheat beer. A Bavarian Hefe, an American Wheat or a Belgian Wit - the are all good for a beach and they travel well.

If you are looking for a beer to travel with and to be enjoyed on a beach I would suggest a wheat beer. A Bavarian Hefe, an American Wheat or a Belgian Wit - the are all good for a beach and they travel well.

A wheat beer as a first beer is a bit of a stretch, mostly due to the possibility of stuck mash with wheat. I'd recommend something simpler, like an english bitter or a porter.

MC

For a first AG, maybe a SMaSH? I did a nice MO/Galaxy APA a few months back that would be nice on the beach and is simple enough that it's good to get used to you new equipment

All I'll add is, for the first AG at least, steer clear of things with lots of Maris Otter or flaky adjuncts, which are notorious for stuck sparges. Good luck!!

Biermunchers Centenial Blonde. Love it, light crisp, and refreshing!

I will second the centennial blonde. Something with a light grain bill will give you a chance to do over and over and figure out the process, math, and voodoo. I did about 40 gallons of the Miller Light Triple Hopped back to back over a few months period of time and I am still tweaking equipment and process. Although I am confident in my abilities, and think my beers taste good, I have yet to "hit my numbers" ie: fill two kegs completely full with the intended ABV and final gravity. But then I also don't "cheat" with DME to make the numbers either.

The thing is that he wants to TRAVEL with the beer, and that means cloudy beer and no glasses on the beach. I brew and bottle wheat beer specifically for my fishing trips, just because I don't care if the beer gets cloudy on the way and I can enjoy it straight from the bottles, with no need for glasses.
Just remember to use 1/2 # of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

Back