First all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRN

Reaction score
Finished my first all grain batch. I did the Newcastle clone from Biermuncher. I scaled it down to a five gallon batch and made a few minor adjustments, namely leaving out the barley and I rounded up the pale malt to the nearest pound, which wasn't much. Single infusion mash with fly sparge. His OG was 1.036, Beersmith calculated 1.044 at 70% efficiency. I was shooting for a mash temp of 158F and hit 156F. My OG came in at 1.043. I also did my first yeast starter with stir plate. I had to do the yeast starter twice. I had a stuck fermentation with a stout I have going so repitched with half of my yeast and did another 1.5L starter, which I decanted.

Below is my setup.

60 minute mash

IMG_20150208_095034245.jpg

sparging

IMG_20150208_105408083.jpg

Install second shelf much like the first one and you can start your boil whilst still sparging.

Install second shelf much like the first one and you can start your boil whilst still sparging.

Great idea. We bought this house a year ago and I am in the process of fixing up the garage. I put that shelf up while I was doing my strike water, I already have taken it down. This is my last brew day for a while. The last house we owned I had made the garage really nice and I am working on that now (hence, the purple drywall). When I get the garage done, I will do folding shelves so I can do this very same thing.

Back