First all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlyd

Reaction score
I just did my first all grain batch this weekend:rockin: I feel that everything went well, however I do feel that my OG is too low. My calculations show that I should have ended up with a OG of 1.053 an I only had 1.042. I mashed in at 153F and anded with 149F one hour later. I mixed the mash every 15 min and sparged for 15 min with 170F water. I don't know if I should have sparge longer?I ended up with 6 gallons in the boiling pot and put 5 in the carboy. I had a lot of fun brewing this way and can't wait to try all grain brewing again. As for now there are bubbles in the air lock and time on my hands to plan my next batch.

:mug: ~D

Congrats on your first AG.

I had a similar problem on my first AG. The problem was that my efficiency was only 60%, but the recipe was written for 75 or 80%. In retrospect I should have added an extra pound (or more) of 2-row to get the proper SG. The beer turned out fine though, tasted great, but just had a lower ABV.

There are lots of threads about increasing your efficiency. For me what worked best was getting a better crush using my Barley Crusher (I went from 60% to 78%).

Gratz! I just did my first AG batch too and I can't wait to keg it.
I too had a low OG, so that's something I'll have to work on. It's good work, though! It's still beer and it's still something you created!

and sparged for 15 min with 170F water. I don't know if I should have sparge longer?

Congrats on your first all-grain. It's fun, isn't it?

Did you fly sparge, or batch sparge? Usually it's recommended to fly sparge over a period of 45 minutes to an hour.

Back