Quantcast

First all grain batch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Firestorm159

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch today Dead Ringer from NB. I would like to say that it went off without a hitch but......it didn't. Well the part I was most worried about was hitting my temps. well I used beer smith and did what it said as far as strike temps. volumes and so on. Well I added my strike water to my 10 gal round igloo cooler with a false bottom mashed in and checked my temp and it was perfect. I put my lid on and after an hour I took the top off checked my temp and it was perfect. So I was super happy at this point in the process. But then I went to drain my first wort and nothing came out! Well needless to say I wasn't expecting that to happen. Well then I dug around on the forum to find out blowing in the drain hose was an option. Well after doing that I finally got it drained and sparged and drained again. I ended up having to let the wort run through a strainer the entire time because I couldn't get it to clear up enough to let it run without it. The rest of the brew day went fine except my og was a little low but added some dme to raise it. After I cleaned my mash tun I noticed alot of grain had obviously made it under my false bottom. Maybe it was to loose I don't know. I definitely have to figure this problem out before I attempt another all grain batch so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did you crush the grain, or did the brew store? Sounds like it may be too fine, or too much grain dust.

OP
Firestorm159

Firestorm159

Reaction score
It was from Northern Brewer already crushed. I would say it had something to do with my false bottom in my mash tun.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If your OG was low, your grain wasn't crushed too fine. Getting grain under the false bottom would cause your drain to plug and grain particles to come through when you did get it to drain and it won't clear up with lautering because you keep getting grains coming around the false bottom. You need to solve that false bottom problem, either by making it fit tighter or replacing or augmenting it with another method. I'd suggest you use a paint strainer bag or a custom made bag from Swiss voille to hold your grains so they can't slip underneath the false bottom. If you don't like this method after trying it a couple of times you can go to other methods.