First all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How should I do my First all grain batch for a 5 gal batch will this be enough
or should I add something I want a hint of smoke:ban:

7 lbs Wheat Malt,
1.lbs Smoked Malt
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
1.00 oz Tettnang
White Labs #WLP380

You may want to add a pound of rice hulls with that amount of wheat malt to aid in sparging, I think the smoke malt is fine as long as it's not peat smoked (peated) malt.

+1 rice hulls. Wheat malt is 'gummy' and you'll get much better efficiency if you use rice hulls to loosen things up.

smoked malt as 10% of the grist might get you a little more than a 'hint' of smoke.

Be sure the wheat malt is good & crushed, too.

You may want to add a pound of rice hulls

A pound is quite a bit. Half a pound should be more than enough.

Brewing your own recipe -- and one with 70% wheat, smoke, and phenolic-positive yeast at that -- may not be the best way to get yourself into AG, but don't let me stop you. The recipe reads "potential" to me.

Will go with 1 pound rice & 1/2 pound smoke please explain what issues I might have.
I don't want to waste good grain if possable I am open to doing a easy all grain batch
to learn the process, my set-up is a 10 Gal rubber maid has the HLT and a 48 Coleman
has the mash tun and have a 15 gal brew kettle
I was in Bamberg Germany in July and took a tour of the Weyermann Company
and I love Hefe which I have done about about 10 of the AHB hefe kits please help and advise .

Back