First All Grain Batch This Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmathew

Reaction score
I will be brewing my first all grain batch using 10 gallon converted round coolers. Even made my own mash paddle. Any quick tips that the group can provide so I don't learn the hard way?
I have 8 extract brews under my belt which have turned out great (minus the first one which fermented at too high of a temp). paddle ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388204290.480923.jpg

Mash temps are really, really important. Make sure you keep your temps close to your targets. Pre-heat your mash tun with 160F water. Add Campden tablets to your tap water to get rid of Chlorine.

Nice paddle!

Take very good notes. Relax. Don't get tense and do hasty stuff if/when something doesn't go right. Just relax and think for a minute. Don't drink til you're finished.

I have an inline chlorine filter connected to a potable (RV) hose for my tap water. Is that sufficient? Although not received yet, I sent away my water to get a water report for brewing. I understand it is more important for all grain. Newbie here but have been soaking information in daily from this forum and books since I was introduced to the hobby in September of this year. I am all in and love it!

The chlorine filter will help. If you can get Campden tablets I recommend it. It will also take care of Chloramine if that is in your water. You're water report should help you out.

Back