First all grain batch (SG too high)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrut9901

Reaction score
I took the dive and brewed my first all grain batch a couple of weeks ago. My plan was to replicate one of my favorite milk stouts. I did single infusion light body batch sparge. My pre boil gravity was a little low (probably because I had a few dough balls) so I bumped it up with some DME. Here is the grain bill I used:

7 lbs Vienna Malt
14 oz Roasted Barley 520 SRM
12 oz Carmel Malt 60L
12 oz Chocolate Malt 350 SRM
12 oz Munich Malt
10 oz Flaked Barley
8 oz Flaked Oats
1 lbs Lactose (last 10 min of boil)
0.34 oz Magnum hops 60 min
1.1 oz EKG hops 10 min
2 pkg US-05

Here is the issue: First Brix reading was 15.2 or 1.062 SG. I racked into the secondary (15 days later) and got a Brix of 9.9 or 1.023 SG. I know it won't change much in the secondary. My question is that too high of a reading for a F.G.? I figured I would hit around 1.010 but I was wrong. Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

Jason

Looks about right to me with 1# of lactose the yeast will not touch it they leave it all in the beer for you!

I took the dive and brewed my first all grain batch a couple of weeks ago. My plan was to replicate one of my favorite milk stouts. I did single infusion light body batch sparge. My pre boil gravity was a little low (probably because I had a few dough balls) so I bumped it up with some DME. Here is the grain bill I used:

7 lbs Vienna Malt
14 oz Roasted Barley 520 SRM
12 oz Carmel Malt 60L
12 oz Chocolate Malt 350 SRM
12 oz Munich Malt
10 oz Flaked Barley
8 oz Flaked Oats
1 lbs Lactose (last 10 min of boil)
0.34 oz Magnum hops 60 min
1.1 oz EKG hops 10 min
2 pkg US-05

Here is the issue: First Brix reading was 15.2 or 1.062 SG. I racked into the secondary (15 days later) and got a Brix of 9.9 or 1.023 SG. I know it won't change much in the secondary. My question is that too high of a reading for a F.G.? I figured I would hit around 1.010 but I was wrong. Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

Jason

You have to use a refractometer adjustment calculator for reading final gravity. The alcohol that is present skews the reading. Brewers friend has one or you can google Sean TÂ’s calculator.

Thank you both! I was basing my target on what beer smith predicted. I have never brewed a milk stout before so I didn't know what to expect . I used a refractometer calculator. Here is what I came up with. View attachment IMG_2822.jpg

My prediction is that it'll be just fine. Your OG and FG are both on the edge of the "official" BJCP style guidelines (not that those are gospel). You used about 15% dark roasted malts in the grain bill, which is a generous amount, so the sweetness will balance that out. And the style is supposed to have a full mouthfeel. Thumbs up!

Thank you very much McKnuckle!! It tasted pretty darn good when I racked it. I'm pretty excited about it especially since it's my first All grain batch!

Back