First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
I'm ready to start my first AG and i'm going with a Blue Moon Clone. THe question I have is the mash schedule here it is:

Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

I understand the mash in but I don't understand the mash out. Does that refer to sparging? I assume after i take the clear runnings from my tun I sparge with another 3 gallons of 196.6 F for another 10 min? But I find it hard to belive it will cool to 168 F in that time.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

george

It raises your mash temps to 1) stop conversion 2) allow the sugars to more easily dissolve into solution. If you do it, you will sparge with that much less water. If this is your 1st AG, you might want to skip it and play with it next time.

Edit: I just re-read your post. The mash out is an infusion to your mash before you drain it. You stir really well, drain your first runnings, and then sparge.

Hope that helps.

mash in temp looks a little low to me, if you want a 154 degree mash temp. I would go 170-175, of course I have no idea what type of mash tun you have.

Id have to disagree, those temps look good to me...

The mash in temp looks low to me as well, and the mash out temp or volume looks pretty high. I would guess that you are doing a much thinner mash than I am used to, which would probably explain both.
How much grain are you using? I, or somebody else could run it through promash (or other program) for a quick sanity check.

-a.

I plugged this into the software that I made for my brewing system... the 154F mash looks pretty good, but the mashout is WAY off... there is no way you will reach that temp with 3 gallons. How much grain is there in this recipe???

Your grain will absorb water which you cannot drain so you will need to adjust your water volume to reflect the loss. You add the 196 water at the end of 60 minutes to raise the temp of the grain and that is the mashout. You second addtion should be no higher than 165-168 as the temp is already been raised from the 196 addition.

The Pol said:
I plugged this into the software that I made for my brewing system... the 154F mash looks pretty good, but the mashout is WAY off... there is no way you will reach that temp with 3 gallons. How much grain is there in this recipe???

What equalized temp do you get with a 3 gallon infusion of 196F? That seems about right to me.

HA HA never mind Bobby... I was looking at QUARTS... since that is how my software breaks it down... yeah, actually that looks about right too, both temps look fine in my software!

Here's the entire Recipe if it helps. So what I'm gathering is the first 3.5 gallons start the mash and after 60 minutes I rake it add the last 3 gallons at the higher temp to stop it and then start my runnings after 10 minutes. Am I on the right path?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time

Cool... I used coriander and SWEET orange peel in my last heffe... the directions said to crush the coriander and use it after flameout... the orange peel directions were to place it in 15 minutes before flame out. I want to know how yours turns out!

Lil' Sparky said:
Yep, you got it.

Wow! Thats easy. I thought it was more complicated than that. My only problem is I only have a 5 gallon water cooler. Time to step up!

Yes, get a 10 gallon, drill a 7/8" hole through the wall, get a solid stopper and drill a small hole through it yourself, then plug the hole from the inside and put a digital thermometer through it... works beautifully

smoke76 said:
Here's the entire Recipe if it helps. So what I'm gathering is the first 3.5 gallons start the mash and after 60 minutes I rake it add the last 3 gallons at the higher temp to stop it and then start my runnings after 10 minutes. Am I on the right path?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time

This recipe looks "vaguely" familiar... ;)

How'd the brew process go?

Back