First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Have done the extract and partial mashes, and am contemplating my first all grain. Is there a particular style beer that one should usually start with i.e. sort of an all-grain confidence builder. A single mash recipe is a given, but I wondered what I should start with so there would be less chance of a f---k up.

Have done the extract and partial mashes, and am contemplating my first all grain. Is there a particular style beer that one should usually start with i.e. sort of an all-grain confidence builder. A single mash recipe is a given, but I wondered what I should start with so there would be less chance of a f---k up.

Stick with a single infusion and I would probably steer clear of a lager too, but there is not set rules, do what you want. Pick a beer that you like, not your favorite though as you don't want to disappoint yourself on your first try.

I brewed a porter because I like them, but is a style that can hide a lot of imperfections and a good one to start with. But there is nothing wrong with starting with say a Pale Ale for example.

Important thing is to keep it simple and lower the risks of messing things up. Get your temps right and control your fermentation and just relax it is still going to be beer when your done.....and it will be beer that you made!

Edworts haus pale is a good one to try, so is Biermunchers Centennial Blonde, either one will be a good summer beer, if you want something witha bit more bite, go with a porter or stout, the possibilities are endless, search through the recipe database, good luck whichever you choose, it will be good beer.:mug:

Agree simple single infusion is best. American Ale, Stout, Porter. It's easy. Just takes a couple batches to get a rhythm down. If you brew outdoors, make sure to have enough propane. You'll be using roughly twice the amount of you'd typically need for extract. Preheat your mash vessel with a couple gallons of 170 degree tap water to minimize heat loss during infusion. Not a bad idea to keep a couple pounds of extract on hand just in case your conversions don't go as planned.

I say a stout or a porter, the roasted grains will help acidify your mash, they can hide off flavors better, and can stand to be a bit under or over your target OG. Thats why i did for my first Ag last week, I picked a beer that was a stout and that I have brewed a few times with extract. I got 76% efficiency using very hard well water so I attribute the roasted grains helping out my PH.

Def. batch sparge, but really it is plain as day, it is not nearly as hard or complicated as I thought it would be(especially with my handy Beer smith instructions...ahem...brew sheet.)

Allow yourself 5-6 hours to do it, I started at 4 PM after work...I didn't get everything cleaned and put away until after 10 PM.

If you like stouts, that would make a very nice first AG. As the other poster stated, you wouldn't have to worry too much about water ph and the dark color helps hide any starch haze if you have incomplete conversion.

I am NOT a stout lover, though, and my first AG was an IPA. I say go for a simple single infusion recipe in the style you like best. If you don't mind a possibly hazy APA, do it! If you want to do an AG version of your favorite extract batch, post it up and we can help convert it.

If you like stouts, that would make a very nice first AG. As the other poster stated, you wouldn't have to worry too much about water ph and the dark color helps hide any starch haze if you have incomplete conversion.

assuming you mash at the right temp and hold it for an hour or so and have a ph in the mid 5 range - is there any reason to expect that you wouldn't have complete conversion?

assuming you mash at the right temp and hold it for an hour or so and have a ph in the mid 5 range - is there any reason to expect that you wouldn't have complete conversion?

It depends on what temperature you are holding at. If you are at 148* I don't think an hour would be enough, but if you were at 155* I am sure it would be.

Best thing to do is to get some iodine and test for conversion.

Check these links:
How To Brew Your First Beer: Chapter 14 - How the Mash Makes Wort

Brewing Formulas

Back