First AG under my belt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today was a fun day. I brewed a simple Hefeweizen today with 4lbs of White Wheat and 5lbs of 2Row. One hop addition at 60min of Hallertau and I'm using Safebrew WB06.

First though of the day.... I didn't crush the Wheat good enough and missed the mark on my OG and Efficiency, but it was my first time milling. I did get a great crush on the 2Row however. I ended up using a pound of plain DME to get a little closer to my expected.

BUT!!! All my equipment ran perfectly. I hit all my temps and this time my Emersion Chiller didn't fall apart and spray water everywhere.

I ended up with an OG of 1.044... I was expecting 1.051, but I'm sure once I get my techniques and figure out my system I will be tuned in! I will be bottling this batch! I am hoping it has some good clove and banana notes.

WHAT A BLAST!!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425412770.855063.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425412796.089013.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425412806.705934.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425412815.156800.jpg

Congrats! Yes as you dial things in hitting all your numbers will become easier.

But, Banana and Cloves??? Those are flavors that most try to avoid???

I've used WB 06, in my American Wheat, but I am shooting for less of those flavors. I find if it is fermented cool, those flavors tend to not be present. I have read that if you allow it to ferment warmer, you can get those flavors. Let us know how it turns out!

Congrats! One thing you mentioned was your wheat needed to be milled better. I agree. However, with a conventional mash tun as you mill the wheat finer you will tend to get a stuck sparge unless you add more filtering material since wheat kernels have no husk and the wheat tends to become sticky. Try adding a handful of rice hulls (cheap insurance) to the mash to replace the hulls that the wheat doesn't have. Here's to many more successful brews! :mug:

I thought about the stuck sparge. I have looked at other Hefe recipes, and some people will through in 5% rice hulls for that reason. I knew that I didn't mill them good enough because I had quiet a few whole pieces at clean up. However, I am excited to see how it turns out. I created this base recipe off a bunch I came across. I hope to use it to build off.

Back