First AG. tastest bad. will it get better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
hello all.

so, i did my first all grain batch about a week ago. it was a 2.5 gallon batch. i used 2.5lbs of wheat, 1.5lbs of 2-row, and .5lbs of oat flakes.

after about a week now, i took a sample and it tases bad. not like beer at all. did i use too much wheat? is it the oats? will the yeast fix this?

After one week, you don't really have "beer." Even a wheat/hefe with a short conditioning period takes about 3-4 weeks from grain to glass to ferment, condition and carb. I wouldn't worry about it based on a pre-green sample. You should still have about a week in primary fermentation, then 2-3 weeks of carb/condition before this is a mature beer.

ok.. i can give more info if you need it.. i was just comparing it to previous extract beers that i brewed that didn't taste this bad after a week..

thanks for the input.

Were you able to test for conversion before the boil? What were your gravities like? Was your wort very sweet before pitching? Mash temps/Fermentation temperature?

Yeah, it may not be quite done yet, but it should mostly taste like beer after a week. Did you use wheat malt, or flaked wheat? If it's the latter, you may have had poor conversion due to the high percentage of unmalted grains. But to get to the bottom of it, you'd need to answer daksin's questions.

I used wheat malt. Mashed at 154. One thing is that fermentation happened very quick and fast.. got the temperature up very hot for maybe 5-8 hours. The OG was 1.062 and is now 1.012. I don't know about conversion.. what is that?
Also, the wort was only semi-sweet before the boil. There is also a lot of sediment.

Wheat malt leaves alot of sediment, not much you can do there. The fast fermentation may have lead to a few off flavors. After you bottle, you can condition these off flavors out by just being patient and giving the beer 4-6 weeks to condition.

Back