First AG in the carboy. Questions about the second

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad67z

Reaction score
I brewed EdWort"s Haus Pale Ale yesterday, it was my first AG. It wasn't perfect, but learned quite a bit about my rig in the process. Missed my SG by a few points (1.039) but made it up with some DME. Followed ED's instructions and batch sparged, only have two questions.

1. How long should I have let the 2nd. sparge go before I removed the 2nd. running's from the grain bed.

2. How much break material should end up in the carboy? I used whirfloc and it all fell to the bottom of the carboy rather quickly, but there seemed to be excessive compared to the amount I am accustomed to when extract brewing.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold.

Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf.

Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Thanks to all for getting me to this point , I may try to brew BM's "Cream of Three Crops" today.

Cheers....

1. Since your just 'rinsing' the grain when you batch sparge, you don't have to wait at all. Pour in the water, stir like crazy and vorlauf.

2. You'll usually get more break material from AG. There's ways to minimize it (whirlpool, straining, etc), but really nothing to worry about.

Congrats on your AG success!

Back