First AG in the bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottle-o-jeff

Reaction score
Well today was one heck of a long day. I'm used to the 3 hour extract brew process, and today took almost 6 hours. Of course, I think I can get it down to 5 hours without too much trouble. I'm still getting used to my burner.

I did the AHS Honey Blonde Ale.

My mash efficiency was 68%. I did the NMODBS recommended on these forums. I'm using a rectangular cooler with a CPVC manifold.

I used pH 5.2 in the mash, but I forgot to add it until after I had added the grain. I also mashed in a little lower temp than I was trying to. I had to add some additional water to get the temp up to 152F.

I didn't completely drain my first runnings before doing my first sparge, which probably affected my efficiency.

At the end I couldn't get the wort to cool below 82. The tap water is just too hot, and we were out of ice. I pitched anyways and I have my fingers crossed. It's in the 65F basement now.

My brewhouse efficiency was 63%. I couldn't get all of the honey out of that little bag. Honey recipes are out from now on. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Anyways, at least I've got the first one under my belt. Now I can start working on figuring out how to make everything work how it should. :rockin:

I'm thinking Edwort's Haus Pale ale for next week.

At the end I couldn't get the wort to cool below 82. The tap water is just too hot, and we were out of ice. I pitched anyways and I have my fingers crossed. It's in the 65F basement now.

Get that temperature down to 67F as quickly as you can because fusel alcohol can be produced by the yeast as well as unwanted esters. The first 3 to 4 days are the most critical. Got ice?

Fermentation is going strongly and it's sitting at 70F.

I'm using WLP051 (California V Ale yeast). The recommended range is 66-70F.

With all of the doom and gloom posts here you guys have me pretty worried. I'm where I'm supposed to be right? I know pitching warm was a bad idea, but it went straight to a cool basement floor before it got a chance to start up.

The stick on thermometer said 70. I'm fermenting in an ale pail, so the stick on is probably showing low. I went ahead and did the shirt thing anyways. It can't hurt.

This is only my 4th batch overall, so I still don't have all of the equipment to do things the right way. I guess a temp controlled fridge is really the only way to go here (long term).

Back